Skip to main content

My DHub Experience so far

I have been using dhub since launch and this has been my experience so far. The support chat and support email is responsive. Within a few days I would get a response. It feels like magic whenever I can get a response from a government entity. There were teething issues like a typo and missing info and problem for me registering that I easily got support for. Not all the features of Gitlab are enabled. I think I would continue to use my Github unless I require internal dhub collaboration. Some features that I emailed about include no email notifications, no emailing issues, no email invites, no group wiki, non working gitlab runner, no support for SSH, certificate error cloning over HTTPS, gitlab pages not enabled and no 2FA.

I think it would help with reach and engagement and interest and sign ups if they gave away a phone or laptop to encourage participation. Also, I think it would be cool and useful if all dhub members were given .dev.tt domain names? I shared some benefits of this in a previous blog post


There are just a few Linux foundation courses at the moment. I went through the Node.js course and was disappointed that there was no exam at the end. I would have liked to test how much I learnt. I expect more courses to be added and I see that Cisco and Simplilearn are partners and probably more partners will be added. I would like to see a youtube channel and blog with local learning content available to dhub members and the wider public. They can start with tutorials on how to use dhub.

If you are curious about the dhub logo and branding, I did email and asked about this and this was the response, "The D’Hub logo was conceptualized as a reflection of the core values of both the Developers’ Hub brand and the Ministry of Digital Transformation (MDT). The Cursive ‘D’ identifies with the core human element, that is, the active developers who will be working on digital solutions. It also touches on local colloquialism and its context captured within the branding. The gears symbolize both the change and the tools required to get there. The nodes seen above the gears symbolize the MDT's mascot 'The Moko Jumbies' and the strides of which the Ministry intends to take in transforming Trinidad and Tobago. The colors are aligned with the Ministry of Digital Transformation's  brand."

Mark of zed.io has started a repo where members can propose and collaborate on improvements to dhub.


I submitted a merge request with my first proposal as follows:

Abstract: I think a platform should be developed where citizens can discuss problems and solutions. This will help developers know of the problems facing citizens. I mentioned it in my blog post

 
Motivation: We are disconnected from the problems faced by others.

Specification: A platform where
citizens can post problems
citizens can reply with solution
citizens can vote on problems and solutions
citizens can discuss problems and solutions

Rationale: For the people by the people.

Backwards Compatibility: I see no issues.

And through comments I pointed out that:

According to Bard these are some examples from around the world

MySociety in the United Kingdom: This platform allows citizens to track the progress of government projects, as well as to discuss and propose solutions to problems.

IdeaScale in the United States: This platform allows citizens to submit ideas for government projects, as well as to vote on and discuss other ideas.

BrazilLab in Brazil: This platform allows citizens to discuss and propose solutions to problems in Brazil.

We the People in the United States: This platform allows citizens to petition the government to take action on a particular issue.

Be Heard in Canada: This platform allows citizens to share their views on government policies and to participate in consultations.

Share your thoughts with us in the comments below. What has your experience been like?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...