Skip to main content

A bunch of random thoughts

Does randomness exist in the universe? Well it depends on how we define randomness, doesn't it. I wonder if some things appear random to us only because we do not have the capacity to predict it. Is the universe predictable? Lets say that the start of the universe created a chain reaction of events. What would have been the effect of having a different start? Does that completely change everything? Is the life of the universe a loop where periodically everything restarts? Does it start the same or does it start differently?

To me, free will is an example of randomness in the universe. I think that our actions are not predictable. I think that the reactions of the universe are predictable and determined by the laws of physics. But I am reading that randomness may be a fundamental property of the universe as discussed in quantum mechanics. Some scientists believe that the laws of physics are deterministic at the macroscopic level, but that they break down at the microscopic level. This would allow for randomness to exist in the universe without contradicting the laws of physics.

We can guess outcomes correctly but not all the time and in all situations. Maybe we need better capacity and tools. What about coincidence and probability? Computers are predictable. We are not. What if computers get free will? Where does free will come from? Life is a test and thus we could not be scored if we didn't have free will. Is fate and destiny at odds with free will? Maybe some things are fated and some are not. Some of it are the laws of the universe, some of it is our free will and then there is the will of God. There are things within our control and things out of our control. The opposite of randomness is determinism and maybe we are somewhere in the middle. Maybe its a battle between random forces that want freedom and deterministic forces that want control and order. I think opposites and action and reaction and balance are fundamental within our existence.

I started this blog post with a bunch of random thoughts and thus the title. It was all over the place. It was a visual representation of randomness in word form. I like routine. I like my comfort zone. I like when I can plan ahead. My mind is battling with the concept of randomness and it is reflected in my writing. But I am liking the ending of this blog post. What started as chaos turned into poetry in motion. Predictability is born from randomness as if there is a magnet. Some sort of guiding force. Some purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...