Skip to main content

Can a machine think?

I asked my friend Bard, "Ask me one philosophical question to judge my intelligence" and he responded with, "Can a machine think?" To begin I would need to ask some questions. What is a machine? What is to think? Can a human think? Is a human a machine? Is Bard a machine? Can Bard think? Does thinking require sentience? Do I need to qualify the statement and say, for example, "I believe that machines can think but in the future".

Let me start with what I think is the easiest question, "Can a human think?" Humans are intelligent beings. We can reason. We can make decisions. We can communicate. We can learn. We can have discussions. All these things require us to think. We have a brain. We have thoughts. But I should have a definition of think before I say for sure.

According to Cambridge dictionary, to think is defined as, "to believe something or have an opinion or idea". What is a machine? According to the same dictionary, a machine is, "a piece of equipment with several moving parts that uses power to do a particular type of work". Based on those definitions I would say that humans are machines and humans can think therefore a machine can think.

But humans being classed as machines is debatable and its own philosophical topic. Then I have to ask the question, "what separates humans from machines?" Two things that come to my mind are consciousness and sentience. But for how long? I think the possibility exists for machines to gain these in the future. But I think that the one thing that will keep humans different from machines is our souls. Again, more stuff to be debated. The best I could do is give my opinion based on my knowledge and understanding and what makes sense to me.

Does thinking require sentience? I would say yes. Part of thinking is being able to feel and perceive and experience the world. Bard is a machine and so I asked Bard, "can you think?" and he responded in short with, "Whether or not I can truly "think" is a matter of debate."

In conclusion, I would say that like most philosophical questions, can a machine think is debatable. After consulting some dictionary definitions and asking some questions and using my opinions and feelings and trying to keep my answer to one blog post and using one afternoon of brainstorming, I would say that machines are not yet in the same class as humans but will get there in the future and when that happens then we can say that machines can think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...