Skip to main content

How the world works

About three years ago I responded to this question "How would you explain how the world works to others?" with "A soul, mind, heart in a person. A person in a family. A family in society. Society in country and world. A world in the universe. A universe of unknowns and knowns." A simple but elegant explanation of the world, and it captures the interconnectedness of all things.

With eight billion of us, it is easy to be fooled that I do not make a difference and that I am powerless. I think of this quote from Doctor Seuss, "To the world, you may be one person, but to one person you are the world." This is a reminder that we all have the power to make a difference in the lives of others. Even if we feel small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, we are the world to the people who love us.

Charles Eisenstein is a writer, speaker, and activist who is known for his work on consciousness, culture, and ecology. We are all part of the same story. Eisenstein believes that we are all connected to each other and to the natural world. We are all part of the same story, and we all have a role to play. He believes that we need to shift our worldview from one of separation to one of interdependence. This fits perfectly with my last blog post: we are all the same.

The world works when we all come together to make the world a better place. How often have you heard the phrase, "money makes the world go round". I found this youtube video that challenges us to think differently. Watch "A world without money" by Jade Saab. Jade is a Lebanese/Canadian writer and political theorist. I like this comment under that video, "A world driven by passion and love instead of survival and fear." How the world works now does not have to be how the world works in the future. Can you reimagine how the world works? Why and how we do things? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...