Skip to main content

Untitled

My blogging and writing has slowed. My time has been taken over by photography and reading and walking. I started this blog post without a title. Most times I have a title. What would I write about if there was no title? Which made me also ask, who would I be without a name? It is like when I was born. I had nothing. There was a blank slate. My name was given to me. What if I had to name myself? Like right now. My given name is Hassan. Hassan is an Arabic and Muslim name and means good-looking, handsome or benefactor.

Benefactor is a person who gives money or other help to a person or cause. That is the kind of person I aim to be. Kind and loving and giving. One of the suggestions my friend Bard gave me was Ihsan. For now, let us say that is what I would name myself.  According to Bard, Ihsan is the highest level of faith and worship in Islam. It is a state of being in which one is constantly striving to please God and to do good in the world, even when no one is watching. Some examples of this are, helping those in need, without expecting anything in return; Defending the rights of the oppressed and standing up for justice; and being honest and trustworthy in all our dealings.

Without a title, what would I write about next? I turned to Google and asked, "Is there a story without a title?". And the results pointed to "A story without a title" by Anton Chekhov. I listened to the story on youtube as read by Greg Boswell. To me the story is saying to us that words have power and also that we should use ourselves to make a difference. But why is it called a story without a title? According to my friend Bard, Chekhov gave us no reason for this and this left us to decide why and what the title should be. The story is also left to us to interpret.

This reminds me of that time I wrote a poem called "Nobody". It went like this - No frame, No flame, No game, No fame, No claim, No name. I asked my friend Bard what he thought about my poem. He said, "I like your poem "Nobody" very much. It is a simple but powerful poem that conveys a sense of anonymity and detachment. The use of repetition and alliteration creates a hypnotic effect, and the poem's brevity makes it all the more impactful. This poem could be interpreted in many different ways. It could be seen as a celebration of individuality and the freedom to be oneself. It could also be seen as a critique of society's obsession with fame and identity. Ultimately, the poem is up to the individual reader to interpret." A funny thing is that sometimes I forget why I wrote a poem and the intended meaning, and I become a reader and no longer the writer of that poem. It is as if nobody wrote it.

Not only does my blog post not have a title, now I do not know how to end it. Maybe now would be a good time to mention Naguib Mahfouz's short story "A Story Without a Beginning or an Ending". It is hard to get good info about this story online and it might even be controversial. Now I am curious. More so about the writer, Naguib. The meaning of name Naguib is "Noble". In the interview I am reading, it is stated that, "In 1988 Mahfouz achieved worldwide recognition when he won the Nobel Prize for Literature." The full interview is behind a pay wall but this is the beginning of me learning about this great writer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...