Skip to main content

Light

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

Today is a rainy Sunday morning and the rain has come to wash the place clean. In another chapter I will talk about my love for rain. But today is Divali in Trinidad and Tobago which is a celebration of light over darkness. Light is honesty. Light is truth. Light is goodness. Light is at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes we go through dark periods that make us appreciate the light when it comes. Light is the start of the day and new beginnings. There is light within all of us. Today should be a reminder that we all have the power to bring light into the world. We can do this by being kind and loving and standing up for what is right.

A few weeks ago I started my "Mind is light" photography project. Photography is another love of mine that I write about in another chapter. It was a Saturday morning and I decided I wanted to rekindle my joy for photography. The next day on Sunday night the idea came to me like a light bulb going on over my head. The phrase "Mind is light" can have several different meanings, depending on the context in which it is used. The one that I like is the more spiritual context, the realization of one's true nature, which is often described as being pure, luminous, and limitless. At the end of this chapter I share the photo that started this project.

I love seeing the light in others. Maya Angelou tells us that, "The light you bring into the world is beautiful, irreplaceable, and needed." I love the phrase walking in the light. This is us making the world a better place, one act of love at a time. This is when we keep our promises. This is when we tell the truth, even when it is difficult. Light is being there for someone and helping them through the darkness. This is when we leave the light on for others. We can be the hope and guidance during dark times. Rumi once said, "Leave a light on so someone can find their way home."

Two years ago I wrote this poem for Divali - Rows of lighted hearts beat, People meet and greet, Melodies fill the night air, Hands in prayer, Mouth watering foods, Content moods. I love that I live in a country where we value each other's religions and contributions to this melting pot. Diversity is the light of the world. There is Japanese proverb that goes, "When you light a candle for someone else, it also lights your own way." Never think that your light is too small to make a difference. Your light is unique and valuable. A light resides within our hearts. When we share this light with others we spread love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...