Light

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

Today is a rainy Sunday morning and the rain has come to wash the place clean. In another chapter I will talk about my love for rain. But today is Divali in Trinidad and Tobago which is a celebration of light over darkness. Light is honesty. Light is truth. Light is goodness. Light is at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes we go through dark periods that make us appreciate the light when it comes. Light is the start of the day and new beginnings. There is light within all of us. Today should be a reminder that we all have the power to bring light into the world. We can do this by being kind and loving and standing up for what is right.

A few weeks ago I started my "Mind is light" photography project. Photography is another love of mine that I write about in another chapter. It was a Saturday morning and I decided I wanted to rekindle my joy for photography. The next day on Sunday night the idea came to me like a light bulb going on over my head. The phrase "Mind is light" can have several different meanings, depending on the context in which it is used. The one that I like is the more spiritual context, the realization of one's true nature, which is often described as being pure, luminous, and limitless. At the end of this chapter I share the photo that started this project.

I love seeing the light in others. Maya Angelou tells us that, "The light you bring into the world is beautiful, irreplaceable, and needed." I love the phrase walking in the light. This is us making the world a better place, one act of love at a time. This is when we keep our promises. This is when we tell the truth, even when it is difficult. Light is being there for someone and helping them through the darkness. This is when we leave the light on for others. We can be the hope and guidance during dark times. Rumi once said, "Leave a light on so someone can find their way home."

Two years ago I wrote this poem for Divali - Rows of lighted hearts beat, People meet and greet, Melodies fill the night air, Hands in prayer, Mouth watering foods, Content moods. I love that I live in a country where we value each other's religions and contributions to this melting pot. Diversity is the light of the world. There is Japanese proverb that goes, "When you light a candle for someone else, it also lights your own way." Never think that your light is too small to make a difference. Your light is unique and valuable. A light resides within our hearts. When we share this light with others we spread love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now