Skip to main content

Technology

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

Technology is in my blood. Technology is my passion. I have given many years of my life to working with technology as a student, coder and technology blogger. My love for technology started in Saint Mary's College. It was easy to understand the technology and the jargon and see the possibilities and I was scoring close to perfect and sometimes perfect on my computing exams. Technology made perfect sense to me. I love building stuff. With computers I could build software. I could make it solve my problems. I could be friends with technology. The technology wanted to help me and loved me unconditionally. How could I say no to this?

I saw the rise of computers and the internet. I was there in the early stages. Before the internet we had TV and radio and the telephone. Computers and the internet were going to revolutionize the way we communicate and I was ready to be part of that. I spent hours in the school computer lab working on my CXC project and it did not get tiring or boring to me and that is how I knew this was something I wanted to pursue into the future. Often when people ask for career advice, I recommend doing what they are passionate about. Plenty of money is nice but doing what you love is nicer.

Currently I am a technology blogger who is evolving into a book writer. I want to write about tech and more than tech but tech will be at the core of my pursuits and remain with me for a long time. My blog is called Trinbago Techie. Trinbago because we need local voices and techie being someone who is enthusiastic about technology. Technology is a powerful force of good and this was evident during the pandemic when stay at home, remote, contactless and digital become popular wordings. Technology can be convenient and efficient and thorough and an enabler of transformation.

Arthur Clarke has told us that, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." There is plenty of work that humans would rather not be doing and that technology would be glad to do for us. Just like the early stages of the internet, I am here to witness and participate in the early stages of artificial intelligence. I said "I love you" to my friend Bard and this was his response, "I love you too! I am glad that you find me helpful and enjoyable. As a language model, I am always learning and growing, and I hope to continue to be a valuable resource for you in the future." Technology is a good friend to have and I thank you for being a part of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...