Skip to main content

Tobago

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

This morning I was walking back home and thinking about all the lovely things I would write about Tobago. A car passes by playing "knock, knock, knocking on heaven's door" and then it occurs to me that reaching Tobago is like knocking on heaven's door. It is our own little paradise. Tobago is where you go to refresh your soul and come back anew.

I would say that Tobago is the better half of Trinidad and Tobago. Tobago's charm is known to many Trinidadians who romanticize about getting away from the curmudgeons of life. I love Trinidad too but just not in the same way. The idyllic island of Tobago is a dream come true for visitors. This little island has captivated the hearts and minds of visitors for a long time.

Things I love about Tobago are the sandy beaches, nature trails, bird watching, food joints, warmth of the people and the laid back life. The phrase, "take only pictures, leave only footsteps" comes to my mind. I would like to see that Tobago's untouched and unspoilt beauty remains through the passage of time and modernity.

My preferred way to get to Tobago is via the fast ferry. The boat trip is in itself an adventure. Speeding along the high seas like a pirate looking for treasure and watching the excited play card games. I have not been to Tobago in seven years and distance and time is making the heart grow fonder. I dream of stepping off the boat on a bright sunny morning on the Port of Scarborough. I dream of walking the roads of Tobago again.

My uncle has a house in Tobago so I am lucky to have free accommodation. My favorite memory is walking from my uncle's house in Sou Sou Lands to Little Rockly Bay. I believe it was a Sunday morning. I had just taken a Panadol to cure a headache I had woken up with. It was a beautiful morning with clear blue skies. I walked past quiet neighborhoods of people preparing for Sunday church. I had to pass by the Hampden river to get to the sea. The sky and coconut trees reflected perfectly in the river water. Coconut trees lined the road and the sea shore. That morning I walked eight kilometers in total. That lovely morning is etched in my heart and mind forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...