Tobago

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

This morning I was walking back home and thinking about all the lovely things I would write about Tobago. A car passes by playing "knock, knock, knocking on heaven's door" and then it occurs to me that reaching Tobago is like knocking on heaven's door. It is our own little paradise. Tobago is where you go to refresh your soul and come back anew.

I would say that Tobago is the better half of Trinidad and Tobago. Tobago's charm is known to many Trinidadians who romanticize about getting away from the curmudgeons of life. I love Trinidad too but just not in the same way. The idyllic island of Tobago is a dream come true for visitors. This little island has captivated the hearts and minds of visitors for a long time.

Things I love about Tobago are the sandy beaches, nature trails, bird watching, food joints, warmth of the people and the laid back life. The phrase, "take only pictures, leave only footsteps" comes to my mind. I would like to see that Tobago's untouched and unspoilt beauty remains through the passage of time and modernity.

My preferred way to get to Tobago is via the fast ferry. The boat trip is in itself an adventure. Speeding along the high seas like a pirate looking for treasure and watching the excited play card games. I have not been to Tobago in seven years and distance and time is making the heart grow fonder. I dream of stepping off the boat on a bright sunny morning on the Port of Scarborough. I dream of walking the roads of Tobago again.

My uncle has a house in Tobago so I am lucky to have free accommodation. My favorite memory is walking from my uncle's house in Sou Sou Lands to Little Rockly Bay. I believe it was a Sunday morning. I had just taken a Panadol to cure a headache I had woken up with. It was a beautiful morning with clear blue skies. I walked past quiet neighborhoods of people preparing for Sunday church. I had to pass by the Hampden river to get to the sea. The sky and coconut trees reflected perfectly in the river water. Coconut trees lined the road and the sea shore. That morning I walked eight kilometers in total. That lovely morning is etched in my heart and mind forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now