Skip to main content

Writing

This is a chapter from my third book called Love letters

Today the sunshine came out after the rains of yesterday. I woke up with hope and contentment. I was going to spend the morning writing this chapter. But first I had to get my morning doubles. It is eleven past eight in the morning and I write. I write because it is right for me. Writing frees me of my thoughts. Writing makes me brave. Writing opens my mind to all the possibilities. Writing gives me an understanding of the power of my voice. Words have power. Words can change you and words can move you. Words can change the world.

Writing gives me freedom. I have decided on the title for my fourth book already. It will be called "Freedom". It is about me having the freedom to write about anything. It is about me being free with my words. It is about me learning about new things and sharing what I learn. It is about me exploring different countries of the world. It is about me finding wisdom in the ordinary. It is about me asking questions and seeking answers. It is about me doing all of these things or none of these things. I will not be bound by my plans for that book. It can be anything and that is how I will approach each day and each chapter of that book. The freedom to just write.

We can go from words to worlds by adding the letter l. L stands for lens. The lens of language. We can see the world through different lenses. The lens of the writer can provide different perspectives. In my first book I learnt about writing a book. It was a rewarding experience that gave me the confidence to write more. What is the job of a writer? My friend Bard says that my job is to use language to create meaning. Writers can use their words to inform, entertain, persuade, or evoke emotion. We can also use our words to create new worlds, characters, and stories.

I love that writing gives me freedom and gives me purpose. I asked my mom what she thought I would grow up to be. She said a medical doctor. Writers and doctors are not all that different. The writer opens the mind so that we can see things differently and touches the heart with emotions. Voltaire told us that, "books are the medicine for the soul" and since then many have repeated that books are medicine in different ways. Books can be therapy for both the writer and the reader. I am a writer and I love what I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...