Skip to main content

Technology research and inventions in Trinidad

I am trying to figure out what technology research and inventions have happened in Trinidad and Tobago and some quick searches on the internet are not helping. I think this sort of information should be easily available and publicized. Is it because there is not much research and invention happening in the technology space? I wish there was one place I could go to to see all the research and inventions that are happening in the tech space locally. And the info should be simply presented in ways that the layman can make use of this. Maybe you can help me and comment where I should be looking or who I should be contacting? I know there is TTLAB, UWI, UTT, Cariri, and NIHERST where I could start with my question and which I will do. Maybe the open data folks can create a listing from each of these bodies: title of research or invention, details, contact, link to more details, date, comment and tags.

I asked my friend Bard, what info do you have about technology research and inventions from Trinidad? The most interesting thing he returned with was this bit that I could not verify with Google: Perovskite Light-Emitting Diodes (PeLEDs) at UWI's Centre for Advanced Materials are revolutionizing displays for TVs, phones, and computers. I see lack of public information and promotion as a challenge and opportunity. It is an opportunity to create a dedicated platform, possibly under the guidance of the Ministry of Digital Transformation, that could aggregate information on research, inventions, and success stories in the technology space.

And if it is found that there is little happening in tech research and invention then we can start asking questions and thinking about ways where we can promote tech research and invention. My friend Bard tells me that we can identify the gaps by conducting surveys and interviews: Talking to researchers, entrepreneurs, investors, and policymakers can reveal challenges and areas needing more focus. Also analyzing existing data and benchmarking against other countries. Then we can begin promoting tech research and invention by increasing funding, encouraging collaboration, simplifying regulations and bureaucracy, developing talent and skills, and creating a supportive environment. Building a culture that celebrates innovation, entrepreneurship, and risk-taking can attract talent and encourage investment.

VTT in Finland is an example of how a country can focus on research and innovation. VTT stands for Valtion Teknillinen Tutkimuskeskus: This translates to "National Technical Research Centre." According to their website, VTT is a visionary research and innovation partner for companies and society: VTT is one of Europe’s leading research institutions. We are owned by the Finnish state. We advance the utilization and commercialisation of research and technology in commerce and society. What can we learn from them and what can be the equivalent of this in Trinidad? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...