Skip to main content

What goes up and stays up?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

They say what goes up must come down. This is a saying that if taken literally means gravity. Figuratively, it means that nothing lasts forever, especially periods of good fortune or success. Even the best things. In another saying we are told all good things come to an end. There is no mention of bad things. Does that mean bad things last forever? But we do say, this too shall pass. Even the darkest night will end and the sun will shine. Every cloud has a silver lining. So I am challenging myself to find something that goes up and stays up. I am thinking our age goes up but never comes down? But then we say once a man but twice a child. In a sense as we get older we get younger. Then we say you are as old as you feel. Life is full of ups and downs but I found something that probably answers the question. "The soul that is near to God is ever going upward."

The strange thing is that I found this phrase online (At least I think so) either from Gemini or Google and now I cannot find it again. I searched Google again and I searched my chat history and I cannot find it. My friend Gemini cannot find a source for this and if you Google the phrase "The soul that is near to God is ever going upward" it does not show as being said before. Is my mind playing tricks on me? I even tried searching Bing. Can you find this phrase online? I would like to learn more about it. Ah. I found a source. ChatGPT tells me that: The quote "The soul that is near to God is ever going upward" is attributed to Harriet Beecher Stowe, an American abolitionist and author best known for her novel "Uncle Tom's Cabin." This quote reflects the idea of spiritual elevation and closeness to a divine being leading to personal growth and enlightenment. Hopefully ChatGPT is correct and the info gets indexed by the search engines when I share this chapter on my blog. Feel free to correct us or share what you know in the comments below.

I am not a deeply religious person and I am humbled by my flaws and missteps but I do find myself getting closer and closer to God or at least trying to. Those words made me stop and think and they resonate with my soul. The meaning of ever is "At any time; at all times; always." I think those words are encouraging us to remain close to God. If we put God first everything else follows. We can achieve eternal salvation through God. The electricity just went and the quiet of the morning got louder as there is no noisy fan or humming fridge. I can hear the birds whistle as I opened the window and door and the cool wet morning breeze entered. I can appreciate the beauty and sounds of nature with the occasional car passing by or that sound of the plane landing at Piarco. I ponder on the true essence of our being. What more can I say except to say, stay up with God. The Owner and Creator of all that is above and below.

While trying to photograph the clear blue sky this morning I saw these two plus three birds go by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...