Skip to main content

What makes us beautiful?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

I was swiping through Instagram stories and one story came on with the Ed Sheeran song "Beautiful People" playing. I love that song but also I asked myself, what makes us beautiful? According to Rolling Stone magazine, "The tune is about remaining true to yourself and not trying to become one of those so-called "beautiful people" obsessed with material things and stature." While I understand the message of the song, I think it is important for me in trying to make sense of this question and answering this question not to be critical of what others see as beautiful. What others value. What others choose to do with their time. What others aspire to be. I want to answer this question in a way that is embracing like a beautiful hug. I want my answer to open like a beautiful flower in our minds.

They say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. What I find beautiful might not be beautiful to someone else. This is also telling us that beauty can be external and internal. Everyone wants to be loved and appreciated. To be valued. To find their space in this world. The world loves beauty. We love feeling beautiful. We often hear that it is what is on the inside that counts. Beautiful should not be an ideal that is hard to define and reach. We are perfectly imperfect. We are all products of circumstances. We are all human. We are all beautiful. I think if more people saw how beautiful they are there would be less bad in this world. We would value each other. We would value life. We would value peace. We would see the beauty in doing good. In being good. In thinking good thoughts.

How does Islam answer the question? I went looking and found one perspective in an article I found online. In the article the writer shared a poem that I found out was written by Shaikh Sa'di Shirazi.

أيُّهَا الشَّاكِي   وَمَا بِكَ دَاءُ   كُنْ جَمِيلاً   تَرَ الوُجُودَ جَمِيلاَ

O complainant,
what is your ailment?
Imbibe beauty
and you will see beauty everywhere.

The writer tells us that true beauty should drive us closer to God. It should unite us instead of divide us. Islam is a way of life that emphasizes moral and spiritual beauty. The writer concludes by telling us better than I could, "If only we strive more to beautify our characters and hearts, I believe beauty, as conceptualized by our religion, will start to become more apparent. The light that is emitted from beauty will be radiated everywhere. Love, peace, and calmness will become the norm. How beautiful life on Earth will be. Truly, it will be. God willing."

God made us all beautiful. God is the source of all that is beautiful. Gratitude is beautiful. Honesty is beautiful. Patience is beautiful. Sharing your food with someone is beautiful. Walking home is beautiful. Staring at the sky is beautiful. Dancing in the rain is beautiful. Beautiful is a smile. Beauty is all around us. How we see ourselves is how we see the world. How we treat ourselves is how we treat others. Maya Angelou said, "The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself." Beautiful is that all us are trying to make it through life. We are all trying to make sense of our existence. We are trying to be better versions of ourselves. We are all part of the same humanity. We are more the same than different. We have to work together to make it in this life. Pablo Picasso said, "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away." Does that not paint a beautiful picture of life? What makes us beautiful is how we pursue a meaningful life guided by purpose and sharing and caring for others and that gets us closer to God. The more I reread this chapter to get to the message of what I have written the more beautiful it becomes to me. This chapter is worth reading a few times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Failure

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for failure. Thank you for the good days and the bad days. Thank you for the journey. There are no failures, only lessons learnt. Better to try and fail than fail to try. For this chapter I made a bunch of notes and pieced them together. If mosaic was a style of writing, this would be it for me. Weirdly enough I am not afraid of failure as much as I am afraid of success. I want to live an ordinary and simple life. Much of what society deems as success is really the rat race. I guess I do not have a problem with success but the mainstream definitions of success. What does failure teach us? Failure teaches us to never give up because success can be right around the corner. Define your own definition of success. Enjoy the journey. Focus on learning. Focus on gaining experience. Focus on becoming wise. Today I learnt how a pearl is formed. A pearl forms when an oyster responds...

Wisdom

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for wisdom. Age brings wisdom. At least it should. Everyday we are learning. Everyday we are growing. What is the wisest thing ever said? I think one of the wisest things ever said is something my grandfather told my mother which is, "Dont make nothing a problem." Let me digest what was meant by this. Life happens. Fix what we can. Let go of what we cannot fix. Fix what is within our control. Get help when needed. Let go and let God. There are no problems only solutions waiting to be found and lessons waiting to be learnt. Every problem has a solution. Do not look at the problem, look at the solution. Do not see the problem, see the solution. What defines the situation is not the problem but the solution. We get to choose how we react to what we face in life. They say that laughter is the best medicine. If we do not laugh we will cry. So sometimes wisdom comes wi...

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...