Skip to main content

What makes us beautiful?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

I was swiping through Instagram stories and one story came on with the Ed Sheeran song "Beautiful People" playing. I love that song but also I asked myself, what makes us beautiful? According to Rolling Stone magazine, "The tune is about remaining true to yourself and not trying to become one of those so-called "beautiful people" obsessed with material things and stature." While I understand the message of the song, I think it is important for me in trying to make sense of this question and answering this question not to be critical of what others see as beautiful. What others value. What others choose to do with their time. What others aspire to be. I want to answer this question in a way that is embracing like a beautiful hug. I want my answer to open like a beautiful flower in our minds.

They say that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. What I find beautiful might not be beautiful to someone else. This is also telling us that beauty can be external and internal. Everyone wants to be loved and appreciated. To be valued. To find their space in this world. The world loves beauty. We love feeling beautiful. We often hear that it is what is on the inside that counts. Beautiful should not be an ideal that is hard to define and reach. We are perfectly imperfect. We are all products of circumstances. We are all human. We are all beautiful. I think if more people saw how beautiful they are there would be less bad in this world. We would value each other. We would value life. We would value peace. We would see the beauty in doing good. In being good. In thinking good thoughts.

How does Islam answer the question? I went looking and found one perspective in an article I found online. In the article the writer shared a poem that I found out was written by Shaikh Sa'di Shirazi.

أيُّهَا الشَّاكِي   وَمَا بِكَ دَاءُ   كُنْ جَمِيلاً   تَرَ الوُجُودَ جَمِيلاَ

O complainant,
what is your ailment?
Imbibe beauty
and you will see beauty everywhere.

The writer tells us that true beauty should drive us closer to God. It should unite us instead of divide us. Islam is a way of life that emphasizes moral and spiritual beauty. The writer concludes by telling us better than I could, "If only we strive more to beautify our characters and hearts, I believe beauty, as conceptualized by our religion, will start to become more apparent. The light that is emitted from beauty will be radiated everywhere. Love, peace, and calmness will become the norm. How beautiful life on Earth will be. Truly, it will be. God willing."

God made us all beautiful. God is the source of all that is beautiful. Gratitude is beautiful. Honesty is beautiful. Patience is beautiful. Sharing your food with someone is beautiful. Walking home is beautiful. Staring at the sky is beautiful. Dancing in the rain is beautiful. Beautiful is a smile. Beauty is all around us. How we see ourselves is how we see the world. How we treat ourselves is how we treat others. Maya Angelou said, "The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself." Beautiful is that all us are trying to make it through life. We are all trying to make sense of our existence. We are trying to be better versions of ourselves. We are all part of the same humanity. We are more the same than different. We have to work together to make it in this life. Pablo Picasso said, "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away." Does that not paint a beautiful picture of life? What makes us beautiful is how we pursue a meaningful life guided by purpose and sharing and caring for others and that gets us closer to God. The more I reread this chapter to get to the message of what I have written the more beautiful it becomes to me. This chapter is worth reading a few times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...