Skip to main content

What word has the most moves?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

This question just popped in my head as some of my questions tend to do especially now that I am writing this book. Would it be a word that dances? How about loopy? As in these tongue twisters - Loopy Lucy likes to do a loopy dance; Loopy as a goose, with a loony prance. How about a word that really mooves. As in moody. The moody cow jumps over the moon. I was told by my friend Gemini that moo is an onomatopoeia. There is a word that makes my eyebrows move up and my eyelids move open and close with wonder as a matter of fact. How about the word moonwalk? What about a drunken mooks? Does that have the most moves?

If I was making Scrabble moves I would be thinking about words that can net me the most points. According to one article the highest-scoring (known) legal Scrabble word move involves the word OXYPHENBUTAZONE ..... Sorry, I think I zoned out there for a moment while I garbled that word. In one move, that word in a particular scenario will give you a gargantuan score of one thousand, seven hundred and eighty points though it can't realistically be played. Interestingly enough as this book is called "When Hunger Yearns" the etymology of the word gargantuan is worth mentioning. The word comes from the name of Gargantua which is a character in the French novels Gargantua and Pantagruel by François Rabelais. According to what I read online, Gargantua is a giant with a huge appetite who is known for his love of food and drink. If Gargantua was walking around today with his belly full of food he would certainly be making the ground move.

What about words that are difficult to pronounce and makes the mouth move in funny ways. Like sesquipedalian which means given to or characterized by the use of long words. Long winded. Originating from Latin and originally meaning "a foot and a half long". Does trying to pronounce this word make me sound like I have my foot in my mouth? Did I lose my footing or as the movie, song and word goes, footloose! Now that's what I call dance moves. Let me pause to listen to that song. That pause made me reflect on what I had written so far. Am I becoming loquacious? Am I sounding garrulous? I am moved by your honesty and move to conclude this chapter with some wisdom.

As the proverb goes, words can move mountains. Never give up. I am thinking of the word steadfast. Could this be the word with the most moves? Now that I think about it, it is ironic that the word that I chose to describe "never give up" has no movement. To be unshakable, stubborn, resolute; firm and fixed in purpose, faith, dream, etc. Even the word has "fast" in it hinting at moving fast. We can move the world without moving ourselves, if that makes sense? Found this quote by Connar Franta that says it better, "Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...