Skip to main content

Who makes the best cheesecake?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

It's three in the morning and all through the house is quiet and not a creature is stirring, not even a mouse. I bet a mouse's favorite dessert is cheesecake and so is mine. So it's in the wee hours of the morning and I am thinking about cheesecake and specifically who makes the best cheesecake? I suspect it would be some recipe handed down from generation to generation. Probably someone's grandma from the town where cheesecake originated from. I read that even though we may think that cheesecake originated in New York that it actually goes further back to over four thousand years on the Greek island of Samos. The Greeks there created the earliest known cheesecake. No wonder I think that the cafe in my village that sells Samosas makes the best cheesecake. Is there a connection between Samos in Greece and Samosas? There is not much written about this on the internet but I did find one blog post that tried to make the connection.

The fascinating thing to me is that Samos is known for being the birthplace of the Greek philosopher and mathematician Pythagoras. Did Pythagorus come up with pythagoras theorem while admiring the triangular beauty of a Samosa? Have I triangulated a theory? That would be wild if only it was true. By the way, yesterday was Pi day. Is cheesecake a pie? Because then I should have ordered a fancy Japanese cheesecake from the bakery on the outskirts of my village. I tried it once and it was most delicious. So maybe to answer my question, the Japanese make the best cheesecake. Did you know that Japanese cheesecake is often steamed instead of baked? Me neither. Also, some say cheesecake is a hybrid between a cake and a pie, while others say it's neither. Maybe it is a pie in the sky or rather a pie from the sky. A treat from heaven above.

A cheesecake variety that has fascinated me but I have not tried as yet is the Basque cheesecake. I suggest you pause and Google this and admire a most beautiful looking cheesecake. To me it is the cream cheese de la cream cheese of cheese cakes. This is what "bask in the glory" would look like if it was a cheesecake. It is baked without a crust and has a golden caramelized top and originates in San Sebastian, Spain. Because it is left a little longer in the oven the top appears burnt and the inside is goey. One fancy food blog describes it as having bittersweet notes. Who knew cheesecake was like perfume and had notes? I bet you someone has invented a cheesecake scented perfume. Off to Googleland I go. Yes. Cheesecake perfume exists. They say you are what you eat. Perfect, now you can smell like what you eat. Back to the question though. There is no Basque cheesecake in Trinidad, I do not think. Just like they say the best camera is the camera you have (smile and say cheese), maybe the best cheesecake is the cheesecake you make yourself or you could get your mom to make it. I challenge myself to make a Basque cheesecake one day. I would like to end on a high note. With some wisdom. They say do not put all your eggs in one basket. I would like to say, do not put all your eggs in one Basque cheesecake. Make multiple cheesecakes so you have enough for later and the next day and you can share with the neighbours too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mwhahaha, this was definitely the funniest 🤣

Nasif

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...