Skip to main content

Why does the ocean roar?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

This question sounds like one a great poet would try to answer. I am no great poet but I will try to respond beginning with a poem. Commonly people say that it is not the size of the ship but the motion in the ocean but I want to state as a budding poet that it is not the size of the pen but the poetry in motion.

I set sail today
Nowhere I could say
Feet caught in my words
Propelled by the winds like birds
The ocean came knocking
My soul was rocking
Time heard my prayers
No more roars in my ears
I conquered my fear
The calm is what I could hear

Sometimes we fear what we do not understand. What we are not used to. What is different. Sometimes we can only see the bad in something. Sometimes we are blinded by all the negativity we hear. The ocean can be a frightening place. The roar of the ocean can be daunting. But if we get to know and understand the language of the ocean we are no longer crippled by its majesty and power. Life is full of opportunities to step out of our comfort zones and take chances. To make new friends. To chart new courses. To explore new territory. To broaden our horizons. To be the captain of our ship. Don't let the roaring keep you from soaring.

If we think of all the times we have had to roar we might see things like the ocean does. Maybe the ocean is having a bad day. Maybe the ocean is frustrated with all the pollution. Maybe the ocean is having a conversation with the land about this pollution. Maybe the ocean is scaring the storm clouds away. Maybe the ocean is hungry and a hungry ocean is an angry ocean. Maybe the ocean is protesting the overfishing that is happening. Maybe the ocean is scared of us just like we are scared of it. This question is encouraging me to see beyond the surface and explore the deep meaning of things just like the depth of the ocean. There is also a humorous and fun side to things as well and hopefully I get to end this chapter with you having a good laugh or smile on your face with this joke on why the ocean roars? You would roar too if you had crabs on your bottom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...