Skip to main content

Why is glass transparent?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

I had just written my first chapter and published it to my blog and shared it on my social media. Feeling bubbly that I was once again writing another book, I then began thinking about my next chapter. I headed to youtube and did the simplest of searches for "why". A few videos down I came across this video "why is glass transparent?". I do not know this. I did physics in secondary school but that was not something I remember covering. My interest was piqued. The presenter notes at the beginning of the video that if you Google for an answer you might come across some wrong answers. But how do I know that the presenter is giving the correct answer? How do I know that any answer I come across is the correct answer? My friend tells me that I should cross reference by checking multiple sources and looking for consistency. I should analyze the presenter's background and content quality. I should look for red flags such as sensational claims and contradictions. I can read what others are saying in the comments.

What I gathered from the video was that light does not pass through some materials because the energy from the photons of light is capable of moving the electrons from the ground state to the excited state and is used up in doing so. For a transparent material the energy gap between ground state and excited state is too much to get absorbed and the light simply passes through the material. My questions now are how does the electron return to the ground state? Would the most powerful light in the world excite all the electrons such that no more excitement takes place and the light passes through a normally opaque material? Gemini somewhat helped me with my understanding and questions but I can tell that I have only touched the surface of this question and that I needed to do some more research. I am going to email the physics department at the UWI and see if they can point me in the right direction. I am also going to watch more youtube videos on this question.

This question reminds me of the Trinidadian saying, "Your father is a glass maker or what?" said to someone who is blocking our view. Now I am wondering, what is the origin of this phrase? Is it really a Trinidadian phrase as I am thinking? In trying to figure this out without success I came across phrases for the same use like "Have you been drinking muddy water?" and "You make a better door than a window." I read online where in Spain they say, "La carne de burro no es transparente." When translated, that is, "A donkey's flesh is not transparent." Also in Cantonese they say when translated, "Did you grow up eating glass?" This makes me think, "How far have we reached with invisibility technology?" I mean sometimes we can feel as if the world does not care about us and we do not matter - as if we are indeed invisible. I went to Google with my question, ''Why am I invisible?" and came across a host of useful articles on the topic. But maybe we want to be invisible and not be seen. Life can be hard sometimes thinking about the expectations we have to live up to. Not being seen means not being judged. Not being criticized. Not being a burden. But then how meaningful would life be? Who knew my physics question would take a psychophilosophical turn? Is that even the correct use of that term?

I should be grateful. We always hear of "Is the glass half full or half empty?" but have you heard of the empty glass philosophy? Me neither but I came across it while researching this topic. According to my friend, Gemini, the empty glass philosophy emphasizes continuous learning and staying receptive to new knowledge. It is about remaining humble while learning, never being satisfied with the knowledge we have and emptying the glass to make room for new ideas and knowledge. This would be my approach as I write this book. The empty pages of the remaining of this book are ready to be filled with so much learning just like an empty belly makes us hungry and ready for that tasty roti meal.

Comments

Anonymous said…
🔥

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...