Skip to main content

Can a single, flickering candle illuminate a vast, ancient library enough to find the book you seek?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

I asked my friend Gemini to give me 5 random words and form a question with those words. After some back and forth I settled on this question. I have so many questions. How many books are in this library? How long will the candle last? What book am I looking for? Why am I looking for this book? Do I need a ladder to get to the top shelves? Are the books stored in alphabetical order? Am I alone? Is there a librarian? How much time am I allowed in the library? Is there light outside the library? How am I going to read the book after the candle goes out? If there is light outside the library then I could possibly grab books in the dark and carry them outside even when the candle goes out. Am I allowed to create small bonfires with the books I do not want? Would that be worth it? Would the means justify the end? Maybe there are some books with multiple copies and I could create the bonfires with the extra copies. Or maybe create the small bonfires with the pages containing the indexes? Should I start looking from a side or should I go to random spots?

The more I ask questions and the more I think about this question the more I want to answer the question with "I do not know". If I am meant to find this book then this book will find me. Maybe it is true what they say that the best way to find something is to stop looking for it. Maybe my time in the library is limited to the time the candle stays lit. Maybe I will just grab as many random books as possible. Maybe I could simulate this search through the power of the internet. I imagine 15 minutes of internet time is equivalent to 4 hours searching an ancient library with candle light. I am going to set a 15 minute timer on my phone and search the internet and see what books find me that pokes my interest. Below are the six books I found in that fifteen minutes.

1. What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions (Randall Munroe)
2. Salt: A World History (Mark Kurlansky)
3. The Only Constant - A Guide to Embracing Change and Leading an Authentic Life (Najwa Zebian)
4. You Are the Happiness You Seek: Uncovering the Awareness of Being (Rupert Spira)
5. The Fault in Our Stars (John Green)
6. Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life (Héctor García and Francesc Miralles)

Out of that list, the one I am most interested in reading is "The Fault in Our Stars" mainly because I read Paper Towns by the same author. You know what. It just occurred to me that maybe the book I seek is the book I write myself. I could spend time in the ancient library laying down in a corner with the candle light flickering just thinking. Just being present. Just sharing space with the spirits that wrote those books and hoping the words from those books seep into the ether and into my thoughts. I will then contemplate on what my next book would be about given the context of this question and my time in this ancient library. How about "Seeking Peace"? Or simply SOUP where soup stands for seeking openness, understanding and peace. How about "My ingredients for soup"? My journey towards finding peace. That would be a fitting title after having written this book "When Hunger Yearns".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...