Skip to main content

Collector

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

The quintessential collector. Have you witnessed one in your lifetime? These are collectors who embody the very essence of collecting. They are passionate, knowledgeable, and dedicated to their pursuit. I admire the commitment. I feel the passion. I am drawn to being a part of this. Why do people collect things? Certainly this is great as a hobby and gives you all the benefits of a hobby. If done correctly I suppose. Stress relief and mental well-being, learning new things, may involve physical health, then there is social connection and personal growth and accomplishment. Collecting things is a way of creating memories. For example some people who travel collect fridge magnets from the places they visit. Each magnet represents part of their personal map and a souvenir of the soul. Something to cherish and hold on to. The collector is making history and owns part of history. I figure it is linked back to our hunters and gatherers past.

I imagine being a collector gives the collector some form of freedom. Freedom of expression. Freedom to see value in the things they collect. Freedom to have something that defines who they are. Collectors are the curators of their own mini-museums. I read where Frida Kahlo said, "The freedom to collect liberates my spirit. It allows me to surround myself with objects that inspire creativity and ignite my imagination." I am seriously considering starting some type of collection. I do use the mymind app to collect interesting things I come across on the internet. But I do not know if that counts. I like the idea of collecting bottle caps. That is readily available and easily manageable and interesting. I could even document this online. And it gets me interested in trying new drinks and other bottled products. I already have a small collection of books so that is another option. My grandma (not my real one) Gwendolyn Stanford had a stamp collection. Some really old ones too. Wish I still had some of the stamps that I took from the collection. My neighbors in San Fernando growing up were stamp and coin collectors. In secondary school I had a small collection of basketball cards. The Chicago Bulls was my favorite team. I love and remember the thrill of opening a new pack of cards. You have to remember in those days we did not have the internet or smartphones. The offline world was where we found ourselves.

The art of collecting has been studied and there are even courses on the topic. Collections can create heirlooms. Collections can become really valuable over time. You become a member of a community of collectors that share a common interest. I started to watch a youtube video that counted down the twenty most weird collections. I stopped at the collection of toenails clippings. World records are even created from collecting things like the largest private cookbook collection with 4,239 books. There is a facebook group of local stamp collectors and I asked the question, "Why did you start collecting stamps?" One person said she grew up in it. Another person said her aunt worked in the Dutch embassy and that presented as an opportunity. Another person said her dad was the postmaster and encouragement came from him. Another person wanted to be a collector like his grandfather. What would be my reason for starting that bottle cap collection? I think I would like the freedom it brings. I would be stepping outside my comfort zone. It would bring new experiences. Maybe as a book writer I am already a collector. A collector of words. A book is a collection of words and stories. Collectors are as much storytellers as book writers. We are similar in that sense also.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

Nur al-Quran

It is 1037am and I have decided to write. I have been listening to the Quran more and more. I have also been trying to learn Arabic casually through social media. I am nearing the end of my second reading of the English Quran. The Quran is the word of God and God also tells us to follow the sunnah and life of the prophet (pbuh). The Quran is a miracle. The more I interact with the Quran, the more complete I feel. It gives my clarity. I have a purpose. I have goals. I have things I should be doing. Islam is a way of life and it builds character. Sometimes I listen to the Quran to forget about this world. This world is not my home. My home is in the hereafter and God willing in heaven. The more I draw closer to the Quran, the more beauty I see and hear and feel. Same goes to God. Same goes for the life of the prophet (pbuh). Same for Islam. If these are all the things I have in this world, I am happy. Reminds me of one of the duas I say daily. I am content with Allah as my Lord, Islam as...

Rain

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for the rain. It has just started raining here. I can hear the pitter patter on the roof. I can see the dimmed light through the window. The greenery in the yard is enjoying every chance of rain. The days have been extra hot this year. They say we are experiencing a super el nino in Trinidad. Given this every bit of rainfall feels special. Water is life. Without water there can be no life as we know it. Rain is part of the water cycle. Rain falling is like therapy. A calm state comes over my body. My mind relaxes. I appreciate my home and my shelter to keep me dry and safe. The rain is mentioned as a sign from God in the Quran and how it gives life to a lifeless land. The rain complements the sunshine as part of nature's balance. Sometimes we have to endure storms and floods and even droughts but there are lessons in these events. Community spirit is heightened and our...