Skip to main content

Collector

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

The quintessential collector. Have you witnessed one in your lifetime? These are collectors who embody the very essence of collecting. They are passionate, knowledgeable, and dedicated to their pursuit. I admire the commitment. I feel the passion. I am drawn to being a part of this. Why do people collect things? Certainly this is great as a hobby and gives you all the benefits of a hobby. If done correctly I suppose. Stress relief and mental well-being, learning new things, may involve physical health, then there is social connection and personal growth and accomplishment. Collecting things is a way of creating memories. For example some people who travel collect fridge magnets from the places they visit. Each magnet represents part of their personal map and a souvenir of the soul. Something to cherish and hold on to. The collector is making history and owns part of history. I figure it is linked back to our hunters and gatherers past.

I imagine being a collector gives the collector some form of freedom. Freedom of expression. Freedom to see value in the things they collect. Freedom to have something that defines who they are. Collectors are the curators of their own mini-museums. I read where Frida Kahlo said, "The freedom to collect liberates my spirit. It allows me to surround myself with objects that inspire creativity and ignite my imagination." I am seriously considering starting some type of collection. I do use the mymind app to collect interesting things I come across on the internet. But I do not know if that counts. I like the idea of collecting bottle caps. That is readily available and easily manageable and interesting. I could even document this online. And it gets me interested in trying new drinks and other bottled products. I already have a small collection of books so that is another option. My grandma (not my real one) Gwendolyn Stanford had a stamp collection. Some really old ones too. Wish I still had some of the stamps that I took from the collection. My neighbors in San Fernando growing up were stamp and coin collectors. In secondary school I had a small collection of basketball cards. The Chicago Bulls was my favorite team. I love and remember the thrill of opening a new pack of cards. You have to remember in those days we did not have the internet or smartphones. The offline world was where we found ourselves.

The art of collecting has been studied and there are even courses on the topic. Collections can create heirlooms. Collections can become really valuable over time. You become a member of a community of collectors that share a common interest. I started to watch a youtube video that counted down the twenty most weird collections. I stopped at the collection of toenails clippings. World records are even created from collecting things like the largest private cookbook collection with 4,239 books. There is a facebook group of local stamp collectors and I asked the question, "Why did you start collecting stamps?" One person said she grew up in it. Another person said her aunt worked in the Dutch embassy and that presented as an opportunity. Another person said her dad was the postmaster and encouragement came from him. Another person wanted to be a collector like his grandfather. What would be my reason for starting that bottle cap collection? I think I would like the freedom it brings. I would be stepping outside my comfort zone. It would bring new experiences. Maybe as a book writer I am already a collector. A collector of words. A book is a collection of words and stories. Collectors are as much storytellers as book writers. We are similar in that sense also.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Giving

It is 237pm and I have decided to write. I drank a strong cup of coffee. It is hot outside but cool inside in the AC. I have no topic but I feel like writing. I love giving charity. Who knows it, feels it. The world would be a much better place if we all shared with one another. If we helped one another. If we only take as much as we need and leave the rest for others. If we prioritised needs over wants. We are going to leave it all behind when we die. We cannot carry anything into the grave except our deeds. One of the easiest ways to give money to charities is through SMS codes. The telecoms should have a system in place where charitable causes can sign up for an SMS code to accept donations. Long ago I remember seeing the donation tins at the supermarket. We should have more of those. I think more people would give more if they were presented with more opportunities to give. The nlcb booths could be outlets for making donations. Linx machines could be points for making donations. AT...

Light

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for light. The Quran is the light of mankind. The Quran is the light of this life. The Quran is the delight of the heart. God is the source of this light. The Quran is a miracle. God shine your light on my path and bring ease with it. Though I may struggle on your path, let me keep returning to where your light shines. What do I notice by looking at the word light? G stands in the middle of light. G for God. One side we have li for life and on the other side we have ht which is short for hayat or life in Arabic. I am almost through reading the English Quran for a second time. Today I passed surah 61 verse 6 which states that Jesus had announced the coming of the prophet (peace be upon him). That verse stood out to me out of all the verses I have read so far. Muhammad (pbuh) was the one tasked with bringing the light of the Quran for mankind. I just noticed that the end of ...

A mirror for the soul

It is 207pm and I have decided to write. I had this thought. Is the Quran a mirror for the soul? How does the Quran help me see my soul? What is a soul? I am reading about the soul and it is all abstract as if we really do not know what the soul is. The soul is what remains after the body dies. I get that. The immaterial part of our existence. Is it responsible for the conscience? Is it linked to emotions? Are my thoughts from my soul? My friend says that the Quran speaks of the soul in this way. "And they ask you about the soul. Say, 'The soul is of the affair of my Lord. And mankind have not been given of knowledge except a little.'" (Quran 17:85). "And [by] the soul and He who proportioned it. And inspired it [with discernment of] its wickedness and its righteousness." (Quran 91:7–8). In Islam we talk about the ruh, nafs and self. The ruh is the spirit whose true nature is known fully only to Allah, the nafs is the self involved in desires, struggles, and...