Skip to main content

What is a beautiful word?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

I woke up early and took a bath. I changed into comfortable clothing and I said my prayers and I laid down waiting for the rain they said we would get after midnight. While I was bathing a question entered my head. What is the most beautiful word? Beauty is subjective and there is beauty in all words. There are fancy sounding words and words from foreign languages and hardly heard of words and words that are hard to pronounce. There are simple words and words with little fanfare and words of frustration and words that make us giggle. There are all kinds of words that are beautiful in their own way. Napoleon Hill has told us that, "The most beautiful words in the world may well be that sweet, old-fashioned two-letter word, we." A simple word that signifies unity and connection.

For me a beautiful word is a word that can express "peace of mind". I discovered the Swedish word lugn and I fell in love with it. It means calm, peaceful or still. It does not directly translate to peace of mind but I love it still (pun intended). The Swedish word for peace of mind is sinnesfrid. Fred is the Swedish word for peace. Frid also translates as peace. Sinnes translates as mental or of the mind. Sinneslugn is calmness. I read that lugn can be transformed into an adverb, lugnt, for example in the phrase "ta det lugnt!" which means "take it easy!" You can also say "det ar lungt" or "no worries". Lugn comes from Old Swedish to mean the calm surface of a lake. Then sometimes spelt lygn.

While researching I learnt that god is a Swedish word for good. So if you said "god natt" you would be saying "good night" and "god dag" for "good day". Dag is very close to the English word dog. And just yesterday I was asking Gemini if there was any link between dog being God spelt backwards. They do say that dog is man's best friend. Could be something there man. Interestingly enough the Swedish word for God is Gud. So if I had to describe this interplay in English it would be "God is good and good is God". Gig and gig and that makes me giggle. Giggle can be expanded to "God is good. God loves everyone." Keeping with this trend of thought, lugn can be expanded as "Love under God's name". Love has a name and that name is God. When I Google this phrase I get a beautiful song by the group Jesus Culture called Love Has A Name. I am a Muslim and the song makes perfect sense to me if the word Jesus was replaced with the word God. I like the following two lines from the song the most, "There's an answer to every question mark" and "There's a laughter that wipes away all tears". When I listened to an interview with the vocalist after the end of the song she talks about God and she talks about customizing the song. We are all one under God and we can learn from each other even if we believe differently. When I think back to the word lugn, I think about our lungs. We all breathe the same air. We long for love. One love. I will end this chapter with the same quote I ended an earlier chapter with. Do you remember which chapter? Rumi wrote, "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...