Skip to main content

Where does this boat go?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

I asked my friend Gemini to give me a random number between 1 and 99 since there were 99 pages in my book so far. Gemini returned with 78. I then closed my eyes and selected a random word from page 78. My finger landed on the word forearm. Does not seem interesting. Let me see where this takes me. It is early in the morning and I am eager for a random adventure of learning. There are two bones in the forearm. The radius and the ulna. According to what I read the radius is called as such because it rotates around the ulna, similar to the radius of a circle. The ulna is named for the Latin word ulna, which means elbow. The first thing I got when I Googled "78" was "an old gramophone record designed to be played at 78 rpm".

This led me to Ulna's "OEA" album from Born Yesterday Records and the song "Turn The Record On". The singer is Adam Schubert who is a recovering addict. What I read is that "OEA stands for "Opposite to Emotion Action." It is a term used in DBT therapy, an exercise to readjust oneself in the world around them. In short, OEA is about not suppressing or ignoring your emotions, but taking stock of them, holding them, and letting them go." That same writing describes the album as a beautiful bedroom folk-rock record. At the age of 14 Adam shattered his ulna in a skateboarding accident and that is how he later came up with the pseudonym Ulna. Since he could not skate, he decided to pick up the guitar and that is how his musical career emerged. I am interested in the lyrics for the songs "Borrowed Time" and "Ocean Ridge". I could not find this online and so I emailed Adam to request the lyrics.

I did some further reading on OEA. DBT stands for dialectical behavioral therapy. What I am reading is that emotion produces an action urge or behavior. The goal of the opposite to emotion action is to identify unhelpful behaviors and urges and to respond in the opposite way to improve mood. Marsha Linehan, a psychology researcher at the University of Washington, developed Opposite Action in the late 1980s. I noticed that if I combined the letters from DBT and OEA I could form the word BOATED.

Boated means to travel on water in a vessel (as in sailed). Which leads me to Ed Sheeran's song Boat from the album Subtract. In that song Sheeran sings "But the waves won't break my boat". Which leads me to Nazare in Portugal where they recorded the biggest wave ever surfed at 78 feet. Page 78 was how this chapter started. It is lovely how randomness and coincidences can take us on beautiful journeys. According to wikipedia the town Nazare derived its name from a wooden statue of the Virgin Mary that was brought from Nazareth. I do have some Portuguese ancestry. My grandmother on my father's side was named Rita Fernandes. Her parents came from the Madeira island in Portugal. My mother tells me that Madeira is famous for grapes and wine making. I read that, "The Stralhista, a ship from Madeira, Portugal, was the first ship to bring Madeirans to Trinidad, arriving on November 12, 1834 with 28 passengers."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...