Skip to main content

Winds

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

Growing up in the tropics I got used to needing a fan on me at all times to keep cool. Only the rich could afford air conditioning when I was growing up. The fan breeze even with its humming was what sent me to sleep and kept the mosquitos away at night. My job was to clean the fans and even oil it when it needed to be oiled. Island breezes are a quintessential Caribbean experience. I remember basking in the very windy side of Pigeon Point beach. This made it my favorite beach in Tobago. I remember leaving the front and back doors open at the apartment I was staying in Tobago and allowing the cool Tobago breeze to fill the room while I slept. I remember experiencing kite flying in the savannah for Easter weekend. I remember driving through the mountains to Maracas with the winds hitting my face. I love the huge overhead fans at the Center of Excellence. Stormy and windy nights are not to be left out. Even though no one wants the damage of storms they do have the effect of uniting us in solidarity and taking our attention away from the usual. I think storms are God's way of reminding us about working together, helping one another and what is most important.

Wind has the word win in it. I feel like a winner with the wind on my body and blowing over my face with a smile. Wind is the start of window. The wind travels the world and brings a breath of fresh air once we open the window. Every day we get a chance to open our window to new experiences and new opportunities. The wind brings freedom from stagnation. It moves us in the direction of what is good for us along the winding road of life. If we flip the w in wind we get mind. The mind wants to be free like the wind. We cannot see the wind but we can feel it, experience it and see the effects of it. Believing in God is the same. Faith is like the wind. We must let go and let God. In doing research for this chapter I learnt that Stanford University's unofficial motto is Die Luft der Freiheit weht, which translates to "the wind of freedom blows". I read that the motto reflects the university's belief that freedom of inquiry, speech, and thought are the foundation of education. Education is useful when it is used for good like making sure that everyone lives with freedom and peace.

When I think of the wind I think of the Scorpions song "Wind of change" which has over one billion views on youtube. The Scorpions performed in Trinidad on September 23, 2008 as part of their Humanity world tour. Wind of Change was the 13th song on the set list. The concert was held at Queen's Park Savannah in Port of Spain. The local band Orange Sky opened for them that night. The crowd was estimated to be about 12,000 persons. The Wind of Change song has become a peace anthem over the years. The song’s sentiments of hope and peace in the context of the politics and happenings at that time resonates with many persons and the world we lived in and even to this day. I hope the winds of change blow away the conflicts of the world today and forever. I hope we see an end to what is happening in Palestine. It is not a good representation of the love that is possible. We should be loving one another instead of fighting each other. There is no we versus them. There is only one humanity. One love. The world wants freedom for the people of Palestine. "Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere" is a quote from The Peasant Prince and in my mind reminds us that we should be our brother's keeper. Let the winds carry these sorts of messages throughout the world and bring the changes the world wants and needs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...