Skip to main content

Winds

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

Growing up in the tropics I got used to needing a fan on me at all times to keep cool. Only the rich could afford air conditioning when I was growing up. The fan breeze even with its humming was what sent me to sleep and kept the mosquitos away at night. My job was to clean the fans and even oil it when it needed to be oiled. Island breezes are a quintessential Caribbean experience. I remember basking in the very windy side of Pigeon Point beach. This made it my favorite beach in Tobago. I remember leaving the front and back doors open at the apartment I was staying in Tobago and allowing the cool Tobago breeze to fill the room while I slept. I remember experiencing kite flying in the savannah for Easter weekend. I remember driving through the mountains to Maracas with the winds hitting my face. I love the huge overhead fans at the Center of Excellence. Stormy and windy nights are not to be left out. Even though no one wants the damage of storms they do have the effect of uniting us in solidarity and taking our attention away from the usual. I think storms are God's way of reminding us about working together, helping one another and what is most important.

Wind has the word win in it. I feel like a winner with the wind on my body and blowing over my face with a smile. Wind is the start of window. The wind travels the world and brings a breath of fresh air once we open the window. Every day we get a chance to open our window to new experiences and new opportunities. The wind brings freedom from stagnation. It moves us in the direction of what is good for us along the winding road of life. If we flip the w in wind we get mind. The mind wants to be free like the wind. We cannot see the wind but we can feel it, experience it and see the effects of it. Believing in God is the same. Faith is like the wind. We must let go and let God. In doing research for this chapter I learnt that Stanford University's unofficial motto is Die Luft der Freiheit weht, which translates to "the wind of freedom blows". I read that the motto reflects the university's belief that freedom of inquiry, speech, and thought are the foundation of education. Education is useful when it is used for good like making sure that everyone lives with freedom and peace.

When I think of the wind I think of the Scorpions song "Wind of change" which has over one billion views on youtube. The Scorpions performed in Trinidad on September 23, 2008 as part of their Humanity world tour. Wind of Change was the 13th song on the set list. The concert was held at Queen's Park Savannah in Port of Spain. The local band Orange Sky opened for them that night. The crowd was estimated to be about 12,000 persons. The Wind of Change song has become a peace anthem over the years. The song’s sentiments of hope and peace in the context of the politics and happenings at that time resonates with many persons and the world we lived in and even to this day. I hope the winds of change blow away the conflicts of the world today and forever. I hope we see an end to what is happening in Palestine. It is not a good representation of the love that is possible. We should be loving one another instead of fighting each other. There is no we versus them. There is only one humanity. One love. The world wants freedom for the people of Palestine. "Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere" is a quote from The Peasant Prince and in my mind reminds us that we should be our brother's keeper. Let the winds carry these sorts of messages throughout the world and bring the changes the world wants and needs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Failure

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for failure. Thank you for the good days and the bad days. Thank you for the journey. There are no failures, only lessons learnt. Better to try and fail than fail to try. For this chapter I made a bunch of notes and pieced them together. If mosaic was a style of writing, this would be it for me. Weirdly enough I am not afraid of failure as much as I am afraid of success. I want to live an ordinary and simple life. Much of what society deems as success is really the rat race. I guess I do not have a problem with success but the mainstream definitions of success. What does failure teach us? Failure teaches us to never give up because success can be right around the corner. Define your own definition of success. Enjoy the journey. Focus on learning. Focus on gaining experience. Focus on becoming wise. Today I learnt how a pearl is formed. A pearl forms when an oyster responds...

Wisdom

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for wisdom. Age brings wisdom. At least it should. Everyday we are learning. Everyday we are growing. What is the wisest thing ever said? I think one of the wisest things ever said is something my grandfather told my mother which is, "Dont make nothing a problem." Let me digest what was meant by this. Life happens. Fix what we can. Let go of what we cannot fix. Fix what is within our control. Get help when needed. Let go and let God. There are no problems only solutions waiting to be found and lessons waiting to be learnt. Every problem has a solution. Do not look at the problem, look at the solution. Do not see the problem, see the solution. What defines the situation is not the problem but the solution. We get to choose how we react to what we face in life. They say that laughter is the best medicine. If we do not laugh we will cry. So sometimes wisdom comes wi...

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...