Skip to main content

Kindness

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

Has someone ever been kind to you? Does it not make you feel special? Does it not make you want to be kind to others in return? Kindness is contagious. The ripples of kindness is how we can think of this. When we are kind to others then others are kind to us. Give without expectation but do know that the best way to get is by giving. Do unto others as we would like to be done to us. It is in our nature to be kind. Mankind should be kind. As I said before, kindness is contagious. The opposite can also be said. Hurt people hurt people. We must break these types of cycles and kindness is just the thing that can do that. My phone slipped and I accidentally typed ⁷ (that is to the 7th power). Is there any meaning that can be derived from this moment? Let's see. As I started typing "kindness to the 7th power" I got "kindness to the poor is a loan to the Lord". This makes sense in that we will be rewarded for our kindness. Even though we do not need reason or reward to be kind. It is just the right thing to do.

In searching I came this motivational poster on the Amazon Store - The 7 rules of life. I do not know why it says that it is currently unavailable but the message of this poster certainly resonates with me and I would like it to be the takeaway of this chapter. I am going to react to all 7 rules and share my thoughts. First rule says to smile. I understand this one because I wrote a whole chapter on this in my Love Letters book and what I remember is this quote by Victor Borge - "A smile is the shortest distance between two people." Smiling is the easiest way to make friends. Smile instead of worrying. Smile because your soul is pure and happy. Second rule says to be kind. We have the power to make the world a better place one act of kindness at a time and do not forget to be kind to yourself. We cannot pour from an empty cup. There is freedom in kindness. We are breaking free from the chains of selfishness and the likes. We are connecting with the true essence of our being. I am now reminded of something that you probably have also come across before. Before you speak THINK. Is it (t)rue, (h)elpful, (i)nspirational, (n)ecessary and (k)ind.

The third rule says that we should not give up. It does get better and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Keep moving forward. Keep improving. Keep trying. The fourth rule says do not compare. We are all dealt a different set of cards in life. Our journey is unique to us. We are products of circumstances that make us different. Do not measure yourself against anybody else. Just find your happy place. Words that I want to live by and that I have pinned on my Facebook profile. Be-you-tiful. The fifth rule says to avoid negativity. There is too much of that in the world. We can be the light that brightens the world. Light over darkness. Positivity over negativity. Do not feed the negativity. Sometimes I venture into the facebook comments of local stories and I am bombarded by negativity and it does not feel right. This reminds me of something that I saw posted recently, "Be an encourager. The world has plenty of critics." We should be constructive whenever criticism is needed. We should be gentle and kind with our words and actions. We should think of solutions. We should offer solutions. We should lend a helping hand. We should be part of the solution. The problem might very well be with us. We are the problem. We have to be the change we wish to see.

The sixth rule says to make peace with your past. We cannot change the past but we can change the future and the future is created in the present. We can and should learn from our past. I am humbled by my past. I am humbled by how far I have come and my achievements. I am humbled by my missteps. I am humbled by the power of love and kindness. I am humbled by the power of God. The seventh rule is to take care of your body and your mind. I struggle with taking care of my body. I need to do better. I need to eat healthier and I need to exercise. There was a time I was better at this. I would like to add the spirit to this rule though. Mind, body and spirit. Being kind is good for our mind, body and spirit. There is nothing that should stop us from being kind. We are free to be kind. There is freedom in kindness.

*Giving is also described as a loan in the Quran - (57:11) Who is it that will give Allah a beautiful loan? A loan that Allah will repay after increasing it many times and grant him a generous reward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...