Skip to main content

Numbers

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I am fascinated by numbers. We say that words have power but numbers also have power. I am fascinated by random and infinity and pi. I am fascinated by number patterns. I am fascinated by counting. I am fascinated by the Fibonacci sequence. I was somewhere on the internet. Might have been an ad I was looking at. I saw that 37 by 21 equals 777. Then I thought to myself what number by 23 would give a number where all the digits are the same like this. I got some code that could brute force an answer but I did not get an answer within the constraints of the largest num in python. This is what the code looks like.

def has_identical_digits(num):
    digits = str(num)
    return all(digit == digits[0] for digit in digits)

def find_number():
    multiplier = 1
    while True:
        product = 23 * multiplier
        if has_identical_digits(product):
            return product
        multiplier += 1
        print(multiplier)

result = find_number()
print(f"The number you are looking for is: {result}")

Now I am left wondering. Are there a set of numbers where there would be no results? How large is this set? Are there numbers where the result will be really really big and take a lot of time and computational power to brute force? Is there a shortcut to figuring this out? Has this been studied before? What are the properties of the numbers in the set of all same digit numbers? What can I learn by trying to find answers to these questions. I am putting this out there because I feel like some others may also find this fascinating or some others may have answers. I asked my friend Gemini for a quote about freedom and numbers. He replied with this Royal Robbins quote, "A simple equation exists between freedom and numbers: the more people, the less freedom." I can see the sense in that quote but just like my numbers questions, I need to think about it some more. Also, what is the freest number?

This is what my friend Gemini thinks:

While "freest number" is open to interpretation, some might see primes as escaping easy definition, zero as embodying absence of limits, or infinity as representing boundless possibilities. It all depends on how you see freedom and the nature of numbers themselves.

I did a Google search and found a tshirt being sold for introverts with the slogan "1 is the freest number" and I felt that. Seems there is truth to that Royal Robbins quote from the perspective of me as an introvert. Somehow my mind is thinking of this Einstein quote, "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Maybe freedom cannot be counted or measured. We cannot put a price to freedom. Freedom is priceless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...