Skip to main content

Uhuru

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

I learnt that 'Uhuru' signifies freedom in Swahili, and I hope to capture that essence in the writing of this chapter. Next Thursday we celebrate African Emancipation Day in Trinidad and Tobago. This commemorates the end of African enslavement. Our country was the first independent country to declare such a holiday and this was done in 1985. The name of the holiday was changed to include the word African. As I read this was done to preserve cultural identity and strengthen connections with history, culture, and identity. I agree with this and it complements another holiday that we have for Indian Arrival Day. The Africans and Indians are the two major races in our country. I am half Indian and half mainly French and Portuguese but I do have some African blood in me from a great grandmother on my father side who was referred to as a mulatto back then. Mulatto was used to describe a person of mixed African and European ancestry but is dated and offensive but is part of our history. When I was younger I had little interest in history. I disliked the subject in school because I had to memorize too much. I wish I had taken an interest and asked questions to my grandparents and made notes when they were alive. The older I get the more I value our history. I no longer see it as a painful and boring school subject but about learning about ourselves and our identity and our struggles and our triumphs and history gives us reason to do better.

I like this African proverb that puts history in context for me. "The past is the palm tree, the present is the coconut, and the future is the milk." My friend Gemini tells me that this West African proverb suggests that the past provides the foundation (the tree) for the present (the fruit) which in turn nourishes the future (the milk). In researching I came across the Mawasi Experience. Peter Telfer, the founder, drummer and composer passed away in 2021. May his soul rest in peace. According to their geocities website, "The name of the group was originally MAWASI, an adaptation of a Swahili word (M’wusi), which means 'In The Hands Of God'. As the group grew and others brought their own variety and input, the word EXPERIENCE was added, to reflect the true nature of the journey. All who came to it would truly experience an inner challenge and growth." Also from the website is this, "The rhythm of the music is based and pays tribute to those of our Amerindian, African and East Indian ancestry, and any other. It has provided many with a source of comfort and a freedom of expression that other forms of praise may not have given them." I love drums and I love that they speak about freedom in their drumming and music. What led me to Peter and Mawasi for the writing of this chapter was me trying to find a link between Uhuru and Trinidad.

Peter created an album called Kutunza Uhuru which translates as preserving freedom. You can take a listen from the only video I found on what looks like their youtube channel. My friend Gemini tells me that the phrase emphasizes the importance of safeguarding and protecting the freedom that has been achieved. Freedom is not something we should take for granted and I have said this a few times before. My friend Gemini also tells me that it encapsulates the spirit of African nations that fought for independence and continue to strive for sovereignty, economic stability, cultural preservation, and good governance to safeguard their hard-won liberty. In the context of Trinidad I see preserving freedom linked to unity where politics divides us. My friend Gemini sums it nicely for me, "While political divisions can sometimes create rifts, fostering unity is crucial for safeguarding the nation's democratic values and ensuring that the benefits of freedom are enjoyed by all citizens." We must not let the race based politics define us as a nation and we should use our freedom to change this. My personal feeling as a citizen is that when (and not if) we move beyond this we would be in a better place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...