Bread

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

It is true what they say that we should rise and shine. I woke up early in the morning and I was keenly thinking about what to write next. I decided on bread. Bread is a staple. We all need bread. We all knead bread. That is what I thought until I came across recipes for no-knead bread. Who invented no-knead bread because I am sold and how is it possible? My friend Gemini tells me that no-knead bread's modern popularity is largely thanks to Jim Lahey, an American baker who revolutionized home bread-making in the early 2000s. This seemingly magical method is possible because of the long fermentation process (about 12 to 18 hours). Over time, the dough develops its gluten structure naturally, eliminating the need for kneading. The result is a delicious, crusty loaf with minimal effort. Another key figure in the history of no-knead bread is Doris Grant. She is a British nutritionist and food writer who published a "no need to knead" whole wheat bread recipe in her wartime book "Your Daily Bread" from 1944. She emphasized the use of healthy ingredients and skipped the second proofing step.

We are taught that half a loaf is better than no loaf and I have heard my mom say this many times. I myself have said it several times. It is important to be grateful for what we have while we work for what we want and need. I found Grateful Bread recipes online and I had to learn more. My friend Gemini tells me that Grateful Bread typically refers to artisanal bakeries that prioritize traditional methods, natural ingredients, and a deep appreciation for the craft of bread-making. These bakeries produce high-quality, flavorful loaves with a focus on sustainability and often have a strong connection to their local communities. While there might not be a single, overarching "Grateful Bread" company, the term has become synonymous with exceptional bread.

My friend Gemini tells me that bread is a staple food for many cultures and holds profound symbolic significance in various religions. It often represents life, sustenance, and the divine. The phrase "Give us this day our daily bread" in the Lord's Prayer highlights bread as a basic necessity and a symbol of God's provision. While not a central symbol in Islam, bread is a common food and seen as a blessing from God. Beyond specific religious contexts, bread is a universal symbol of sustenance, community and sacrifice. But in Trinidad we say that Crix, the crackers, is the vital supplies. Crix is the best thing since sliced bread. I wonder if Bermudez ever made bread or would consider making bread? I wonder if I can somehow take Crix crackers and somehow fashion bread from them? Maybe not bread but bread pudding. The internet says that it has been done before. Great minds think alike. Speaking of mind. I am reading conflicting articles on whether bread is good for the brain due in part to the gluten. I guess everything in moderation and go for the healthier breads. I read that baking bread with your hands from scratch the old fashioned way is good for your mental health. Baking bread takes patience. Why did the loaf of bread never get impatient? Because it knows the best things come to those who rise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

.dev.tt domain names in Trinidad and Tobago

Love, Purpose, and Ten Dollars

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Walking

My Year In New York from 2002 to 2003