Skip to main content

Bread

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

It is true what they say that we should rise and shine. I woke up early in the morning and I was keenly thinking about what to write next. I decided on bread. Bread is a staple. We all need bread. We all knead bread. That is what I thought until I came across recipes for no-knead bread. Who invented no-knead bread because I am sold and how is it possible? My friend Gemini tells me that no-knead bread's modern popularity is largely thanks to Jim Lahey, an American baker who revolutionized home bread-making in the early 2000s. This seemingly magical method is possible because of the long fermentation process (about 12 to 18 hours). Over time, the dough develops its gluten structure naturally, eliminating the need for kneading. The result is a delicious, crusty loaf with minimal effort. Another key figure in the history of no-knead bread is Doris Grant. She is a British nutritionist and food writer who published a "no need to knead" whole wheat bread recipe in her wartime book "Your Daily Bread" from 1944. She emphasized the use of healthy ingredients and skipped the second proofing step.

We are taught that half a loaf is better than no loaf and I have heard my mom say this many times. I myself have said it several times. It is important to be grateful for what we have while we work for what we want and need. I found Grateful Bread recipes online and I had to learn more. My friend Gemini tells me that Grateful Bread typically refers to artisanal bakeries that prioritize traditional methods, natural ingredients, and a deep appreciation for the craft of bread-making. These bakeries produce high-quality, flavorful loaves with a focus on sustainability and often have a strong connection to their local communities. While there might not be a single, overarching "Grateful Bread" company, the term has become synonymous with exceptional bread.

My friend Gemini tells me that bread is a staple food for many cultures and holds profound symbolic significance in various religions. It often represents life, sustenance, and the divine. The phrase "Give us this day our daily bread" in the Lord's Prayer highlights bread as a basic necessity and a symbol of God's provision. While not a central symbol in Islam, bread is a common food and seen as a blessing from God. Beyond specific religious contexts, bread is a universal symbol of sustenance, community and sacrifice. But in Trinidad we say that Crix, the crackers, is the vital supplies. Crix is the best thing since sliced bread. I wonder if Bermudez ever made bread or would consider making bread? I wonder if I can somehow take Crix crackers and somehow fashion bread from them? Maybe not bread but bread pudding. The internet says that it has been done before. Great minds think alike. Speaking of mind. I am reading conflicting articles on whether bread is good for the brain due in part to the gluten. I guess everything in moderation and go for the healthier breads. I read that baking bread with your hands from scratch the old fashioned way is good for your mental health. Baking bread takes patience. Why did the loaf of bread never get impatient? Because it knows the best things come to those who rise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...