Skip to main content

Bread

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

It is true what they say that we should rise and shine. I woke up early in the morning and I was keenly thinking about what to write next. I decided on bread. Bread is a staple. We all need bread. We all knead bread. That is what I thought until I came across recipes for no-knead bread. Who invented no-knead bread because I am sold and how is it possible? My friend Gemini tells me that no-knead bread's modern popularity is largely thanks to Jim Lahey, an American baker who revolutionized home bread-making in the early 2000s. This seemingly magical method is possible because of the long fermentation process (about 12 to 18 hours). Over time, the dough develops its gluten structure naturally, eliminating the need for kneading. The result is a delicious, crusty loaf with minimal effort. Another key figure in the history of no-knead bread is Doris Grant. She is a British nutritionist and food writer who published a "no need to knead" whole wheat bread recipe in her wartime book "Your Daily Bread" from 1944. She emphasized the use of healthy ingredients and skipped the second proofing step.

We are taught that half a loaf is better than no loaf and I have heard my mom say this many times. I myself have said it several times. It is important to be grateful for what we have while we work for what we want and need. I found Grateful Bread recipes online and I had to learn more. My friend Gemini tells me that Grateful Bread typically refers to artisanal bakeries that prioritize traditional methods, natural ingredients, and a deep appreciation for the craft of bread-making. These bakeries produce high-quality, flavorful loaves with a focus on sustainability and often have a strong connection to their local communities. While there might not be a single, overarching "Grateful Bread" company, the term has become synonymous with exceptional bread.

My friend Gemini tells me that bread is a staple food for many cultures and holds profound symbolic significance in various religions. It often represents life, sustenance, and the divine. The phrase "Give us this day our daily bread" in the Lord's Prayer highlights bread as a basic necessity and a symbol of God's provision. While not a central symbol in Islam, bread is a common food and seen as a blessing from God. Beyond specific religious contexts, bread is a universal symbol of sustenance, community and sacrifice. But in Trinidad we say that Crix, the crackers, is the vital supplies. Crix is the best thing since sliced bread. I wonder if Bermudez ever made bread or would consider making bread? I wonder if I can somehow take Crix crackers and somehow fashion bread from them? Maybe not bread but bread pudding. The internet says that it has been done before. Great minds think alike. Speaking of mind. I am reading conflicting articles on whether bread is good for the brain due in part to the gluten. I guess everything in moderation and go for the healthier breads. I read that baking bread with your hands from scratch the old fashioned way is good for your mental health. Baking bread takes patience. Why did the loaf of bread never get impatient? Because it knows the best things come to those who rise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Failure

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for failure. Thank you for the good days and the bad days. Thank you for the journey. There are no failures, only lessons learnt. Better to try and fail than fail to try. For this chapter I made a bunch of notes and pieced them together. If mosaic was a style of writing, this would be it for me. Weirdly enough I am not afraid of failure as much as I am afraid of success. I want to live an ordinary and simple life. Much of what society deems as success is really the rat race. I guess I do not have a problem with success but the mainstream definitions of success. What does failure teach us? Failure teaches us to never give up because success can be right around the corner. Define your own definition of success. Enjoy the journey. Focus on learning. Focus on gaining experience. Focus on becoming wise. Today I learnt how a pearl is formed. A pearl forms when an oyster responds...

Wisdom

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for wisdom. Age brings wisdom. At least it should. Everyday we are learning. Everyday we are growing. What is the wisest thing ever said? I think one of the wisest things ever said is something my grandfather told my mother which is, "Dont make nothing a problem." Let me digest what was meant by this. Life happens. Fix what we can. Let go of what we cannot fix. Fix what is within our control. Get help when needed. Let go and let God. There are no problems only solutions waiting to be found and lessons waiting to be learnt. Every problem has a solution. Do not look at the problem, look at the solution. Do not see the problem, see the solution. What defines the situation is not the problem but the solution. We get to choose how we react to what we face in life. They say that laughter is the best medicine. If we do not laugh we will cry. So sometimes wisdom comes wi...

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...