Skip to main content

Cookies

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

I said I was not going to write another chapter but here I am tapping away the keyboard on my phone. This happens when I now start a new book. I get really excited to write new chapters. This is my fourth chapter in less than 24 hours. I have an original joke this time. What is a cook's favorite snack? Gemini said leftovers. Nice try but not the answer. It is cookies. Get it? Cook. Cookies. What really got me started on this chapter was the phrase "tough as a cookie". But cookies are soft and breakable unless you maybe had a culinary fiasco in the kitchen. A cooking disaster of sorts. I could not determine the origin of the phrase but my friend Gemini tells me that we can make an educated guess as to the reason for usage. Cookies often have a crisp, hard exterior, while the inside is soft and chewy. This could symbolize someone who is tough on the outside but soft on the inside. Also. Cookies can withstand baking in high temperatures, which could symbolize resilience and toughness.

I learnt that the word "cookie" is a diminutive form of the Dutch word "koek" meaning "cake". It was introduced to the United States in the late 18th century by Dutch immigrants. So a cookie is really a small cake. Never thought of it that way. I would think that a cupcake is a small cake. I guess a cookie is an even smaller cake. Cookies go well with a cup of milk. I read that there is actually science behind this. Cookies contain lots of phospholipids. I know, that is a big word. It actually refers to stuff like lecithin which is an emulsifier. Another biggish word. An emulsifier allows ingredients like oil and water to mix together smoothly. Lecithin helps to improve the texture of the cookie by ensuring even distribution of fats and enhances the cookie's shelf life. That aside, milk is good at breaking down the phospholipids and hence that melt in your mouth goodness.

A favorite cookie of many is the Oreo branded cookies. There are several theories why it is callled oreo but the one I like the most is that the re from cream is sandwiched between the two o's of chocolate. It is believable and fun to imagine. I read that the oreo was created by Nabisco's principal scientist Sam Porcello. He is often referred to as Mr. Oreo. And now for an unoriginal joke that I found on the interwebs. Did you hear about the Oreo that won the baking contest? It was an oreoriginal recipe! Was that joke stale? I must feel like an idiot but I got some more cookie idioms. Tough as a cookie is not the only cookie idiom. That is how the cookie crumbles is another. Also you can be caught with your hand in the cookie jar. You can also be described as a smart cookie. I think I am going to call you a smookie. Smookie is actually what happens when a smores meets a cookie. I really want to try these. Not to be confused with the smoothie cookie. One thing about food is that you can be really creative with the language and recipes. It is cool that tough and dough are similarly spelt. Would have been cooler if they sounded the same. Did you know that there are at least 6 different pronunciations for words ending in ough? One last joke to end the chapter. What is another word for a book that is called Alpha-bet Soup? A bookie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...