Skip to main content

Disaster

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

I was thinking about recipes for disasters and how to avoid them. Put simply this is a situation likely to end badly. It is an idiomatic expression. It uses the metaphor for a recipe suggesting that if we combine certain elements and follow certain paths this is likely to lead to disaster. For example if you are Trinidadian you typically know that you should avoid eating doubles with drinking a Supligen. I have never tried this but I could just imagine the consequence especially if you will not be near a toilet for some time. The first use or earliest use of "recipe for disaster" is not documented or at least I could not find this. The Simpsons show has earned a reputation for predicting the future. I think about Homer Simpson who is often portrayed as a classic "recipe for disaster" character. His good intentions are frequently overshadowed by his impulsive decisions, lack of foresight, and general clumsiness. My friend Gemini thinks that his character is a comedic goldmine because his actions consistently result in hilarious and often disastrous outcomes.

The book "Recipe for Disaster" by Alison Riley gave me another way to look at the phrase. What are some foods that we turn to when disaster strikes? The book is described as stories about finding comfort in food, surviving the unthinkable, and living to tell about both. The Amazon store states, "Featuring funny, heartbreaking, bittersweet, but always relatable essays and interviews that inspire recognition and laughter, accompanied by inspirational (and sometimes unconventional) recipes". Just how I have started this book and the progression I envision. Humour mixed in with inspiration. I found this joke that went over my head at first. The customer says, "I would like 125 copies of the new cookbook about grits." The book seller responds, "Hominy?" I got it after my friend Gemini explained it to me. Hominy can be made with grits and hominy sounds like how many. Who knew? The more you live, the more you learn.

You really do require grit and determination to survive some disasters. My friend Gemini tells me that these qualities, coupled with preparedness and knowledge, can significantly increase one's chances of weathering a storm. We can learn a lot from others when we look to avoid recipes for disasters. Studying past disasters is crucial for building resilience. We can learn invaluable lessons from the mistakes made, the successes achieved, and the strategies employed. For me one way to avoid disaster or at least be strong enough to deal with disaster is to live a life with God. Here is a joke. Which pastry is the most religious? The donut. Its holiness cannot be denied. Do not (or should I say donut) live a life without prayer. Exactly while writing this my mom barged in the room shouting "disaster, all the eggs freeze up". She had already sauteed the onions, garlic and seasoning to make eggs but I had put the eggs in the fridge door instead of the below tray and now they were frozen and unusable. This happens with our fridge. A real life recipe for disaster. We made tin salmon instead. And that is my sermon.

*The word hominy reminds me of homily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...