Grain

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

It was four in the morning and rain was falling and I was deciding on my next chapter. I asked my friend Gemini what foods rhyme with rain and that is how this chapter got started. Not only does it rhyme but the word grain contains the word rain in it. The G in grain could stand for God. And there is a verse in the Quran (Qaf - 9) when translated says, "And We send down blessed rain from the sky, bringing forth gardens and grains for harvest." What really are grains and what is the origin of the word? My friend Gemini tells me that grains are the edible seeds of grass-like plants. These plants are often referred to as cereals. They are a staple food in many cultures around the world and provide a significant portion of the global calorie intake. The origin of the word grain is unclear but possibly comes from Old English or Latin. My friend jokingly tells me that the search for the origin of the word grain leads to the holy grain (think holy grail). This is to be taken with a grain of salt but as people like to say, there is a grain of truth in every joke.

One of my favorite dinners to have is raisin bran and milk. I let the raisin bran soak in the milk for about an hour and it becomes so soft and delicious. Like a porridge. I like the maple flavored raisin bran and the ones made with whole grain. There are even recipes for making your own raisin bran if you are feeling adventurous and wanting to go against the grain. My friend Gemini tells me that the idiom "go against the grain" originated from the difficulty of sawing wood against its natural fiber direction, symbolizing actions that oppose the norm or expectation. What are some unusual grains that are not the norm? There is Amaranth which is a tiny, gluten-free grain that is packed with protein and iron. It has a slightly nutty flavor. Then there is Fonio. This is the smallest grain in the world and it is gluten-free and has a slightly nutty taste.

What grain is Trinidad known for? Trinidad has a history of rice farming but rice farming has significantly declined over the years even with plans to revive the sector. I read a good story coming from the sector that said that Trinidad is the only place in the Western Hemisphere to grow Moruga Hill rice which is also known as African Hill rice. The article is titled "Moruga Hill rice - grain of growth for agri-industry" and was written in 2018. The article states that the Moruga Hill rice is a significant scientific discovery as it can allow for the cultivation of rice crops on dry land. I am sure this hill rice has health benefits as well. I would love to try this rice and I will search for it when I next need to buy rice. I see that Vista Dorado Estates is selling Scorpion Pepper Moruga Hill Rice. There is even a Geera Spiced version. I think I will go for the tamer Pimento version. This reminds me that we really should support local. Also our local products can be huge foreign exchange earners. And how do I end this chapter after taking on such a serious topic? I would like to say that grain food is brain food (at least the whole grains) and remember, when it comes to grains, don’t take life too seriously—after all, they say a grain of laughter is the best medicine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

.dev.tt domain names in Trinidad and Tobago

Love, Purpose, and Ten Dollars

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Walking

Let's talk about Teslas in Trinidad and Tobago with Ian Smart of Smart Energy Limited