Skip to main content

Grain

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

It was four in the morning and rain was falling and I was deciding on my next chapter. I asked my friend Gemini what foods rhyme with rain and that is how this chapter got started. Not only does it rhyme but the word grain contains the word rain in it. The G in grain could stand for God. And there is a verse in the Quran (Qaf - 9) when translated says, "And We send down blessed rain from the sky, bringing forth gardens and grains for harvest." What really are grains and what is the origin of the word? My friend Gemini tells me that grains are the edible seeds of grass-like plants. These plants are often referred to as cereals. They are a staple food in many cultures around the world and provide a significant portion of the global calorie intake. The origin of the word grain is unclear but possibly comes from Old English or Latin. My friend jokingly tells me that the search for the origin of the word grain leads to the holy grain (think holy grail). This is to be taken with a grain of salt but as people like to say, there is a grain of truth in every joke.

One of my favorite dinners to have is raisin bran and milk. I let the raisin bran soak in the milk for about an hour and it becomes so soft and delicious. Like a porridge. I like the maple flavored raisin bran and the ones made with whole grain. There are even recipes for making your own raisin bran if you are feeling adventurous and wanting to go against the grain. My friend Gemini tells me that the idiom "go against the grain" originated from the difficulty of sawing wood against its natural fiber direction, symbolizing actions that oppose the norm or expectation. What are some unusual grains that are not the norm? There is Amaranth which is a tiny, gluten-free grain that is packed with protein and iron. It has a slightly nutty flavor. Then there is Fonio. This is the smallest grain in the world and it is gluten-free and has a slightly nutty taste.

What grain is Trinidad known for? Trinidad has a history of rice farming but rice farming has significantly declined over the years even with plans to revive the sector. I read a good story coming from the sector that said that Trinidad is the only place in the Western Hemisphere to grow Moruga Hill rice which is also known as African Hill rice. The article is titled "Moruga Hill rice - grain of growth for agri-industry" and was written in 2018. The article states that the Moruga Hill rice is a significant scientific discovery as it can allow for the cultivation of rice crops on dry land. I am sure this hill rice has health benefits as well. I would love to try this rice and I will search for it when I next need to buy rice. I see that Vista Dorado Estates is selling Scorpion Pepper Moruga Hill Rice. There is even a Geera Spiced version. I think I will go for the tamer Pimento version. This reminds me that we really should support local. Also our local products can be huge foreign exchange earners. And how do I end this chapter after taking on such a serious topic? I would like to say that grain food is brain food (at least the whole grains) and remember, when it comes to grains, don’t take life too seriously—after all, they say a grain of laughter is the best medicine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...