Skip to main content

Soup

This is a chapter from my sixth book called Alphabet Soup - A different kind of cook book

It is a cold rainy day in Trinidad. Perfect weather for a soup and maybe a laugh or two. Both things being good for the soul. I think we started saying that soup is good for the soul just because the words share similar sounds. Even though they rhyme at the beginning instead of the end. I learnt that this is called a near rhyme or slant rhyme. My friend Gemini tells me that while there's no scientific evidence to prove that soup literally heals the soul, its ability to provide comfort, warmth, and nourishment has made it a beloved symbol of care and well-being. Now here is the joke. I asked the cook to give me a cook joke. He combined joke and cook and came back with jook. If you knew that jook is a Cantonese dish you would have gotten the joke. When done well it should have a soupy and runny texture. It is also called rice soup. Maybe you thought of jook in the Trinidadian sense of to take a jook (or wine) and that would also be funny. A dancing cook. Soup is good for the soul but soca is also good for the soul. Soca is actually a combination of soul and calypso.

I came across an Akan proverb and also the title of a popular Ghanaian cookbook that says a good soup attracts chairs. It suggests that when something is good it attracts attention and builds community. I guess we could also say that a good soup attracts cheers. Cheers to the good life with soup. I also learnt of another proverb that goes like the good soup comes from the good earth. This suggests that we use earthy and natural ingredients in our soup. Speaking of community, have you ever wondered about the story behind soup kitchens? My friend Gemini tells me that soup kitchens got their name because, historically, they primarily served soup and bread to hungry people. Soup was a cheap and easy way to feed large numbers of people. It could be made in bulk, was filling, and could be stretched by adding water. These kitchens emerged during times of hardship like the Great Depression. I understand the part about being stretched with water because I have come across a hadith from Islam that goes, "If you cook broth, increase the amount of liquid in it and give some to your neighbors". Some translations that I saw say soup and some say stew.

In Trinidad we have a love affair with corn soup. I read one article that said that Trinidad corn soup can cure anything. I need a cure for my funny bone. I cannot seem to want to stop sharing jokes. Here is a corny soup joke. Literally and figuratively. What do you call a corn that is really good at karate? A souperstar. I remember the great floods of 2018 when they went around the village serving corn soup. They have not done that since. I guess the storms of life really do bring people together. You have heard of storm in a teacup but did you know that soup can also be served in a teacup? One writer came with sophistication when he wrote, "How to serve a demitasse of delicacy during the hearty winter season". I am trini so I will substitute rainy season for winter in my understanding. They say that too many cooks spoil the soup. I guess I could say that too many words spoil the chapter. I should take the pot off the stove now. I know a cook who makes the most wonderful soup. I describe it as soupercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Seems like a word that uses all letters of the alphabet but I checked and it does not. It only uses 17 distinct letters. It is a letter salad to go with my soup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...