Skip to main content

Lovely

This is a chapter from my eight book called Learn to live

When I came across this quote I thought to myself that this is lovely. I did not know but I wonder if it is true. Turns out to be factual. The quote comes from the TV series Mozart in the Jungle, "You say 'amateur' as if it was a dirty word. 'Amateur' comes from the Latin word amare, which means to love. To do things for the love of it." My friend Chatty gave me the history of the word amateur and it is a pity that it has adopted negative use. It is a beautiful word.

The word "amateur" comes from the French word of the same spelling, which itself derives from the Latin "amator," meaning "lover." Originally, it referred to someone who engages in an activity for the love of it, rather than for financial gain. Over time, especially in the 19th century, the term took on a more specific connotation, often contrasting skilled professionals with those who participate in a field without formal training or compensation. Today, it can carry both positive and negative connotations, depending on the context.

I call myself a nooby book writer. It is a hobby for me. I am quite the amateur and I now say that with embrace. Perspective and the way we use language and words can really make a difference. As the famous words go, "The expert at anything was once a beginner". My friend Gemini tells me that my perspective on language and words is spot on. The way we use language can shape our thoughts and feelings, and it's important to choose our words carefully. By embracing the positive connotations of "amateur," I am not only honoring the word's history but also celebrating my own passion for writing. I figure it is true what they say. Do something you love and you never have to work a day in your life.

In my concluding paragraph, I want to piece together several items I came across while learning for this chapter. Another polysemous word that is similar to amateur is dilettante. A polysemous word is a word that has multiple meanings that come from a common origin. Dilettante can mean love of the art. I asked my friend Chatty to give me a quote for "lover of writing" and he came back with the Voltaire saying, "Writing is the painting of the voice." At the same time I got a youtube notification for a music clip and the tagline was "the art of voice". The letters a,r and t are contained in the word amateur. You can find art in amateur. I like that the word artistry says "art is try". Basically it tells us to try, try and try until we make it. Until we become better at what we do while at the same time loving what we do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...