Skip to main content

Ordinary

This is a chapter from my eight book called Learn to live

Despite the title, this is no ordinary chapter. Today I learnt that the suffixes in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th come from the last two letters of the words first, second, third and fourth. My friend Gemini tells me that ordinal numbers are numbers that indicate the position or rank of something in a list or sequence. They tell us the order of things, like first, second, third and so on. For example, if you finish a race in the third position, you are the third-place finisher. The number "third" here is an ordinal number. The word "ordinal" is derived from the Latin word "ordinalis" which means "of order." So, when we use ordinal numbers, we're essentially assigning an order to things, and that's why they're called "ordinal."

My Computer Science background made me think about the zeroth (0th) position. My friend Gemini tells me that while "zeroth" is not a commonly used ordinal number in everyday language, it does exist and is often used in specific contexts, particularly in mathematics and science. Why do we not say oneth, twoth, and threeth? I read that the first few ordinals come from Old English and Latin roots, respectively, not from a system of simply adding "th" to cardinal numbers.

My friend Gemini tells me that the term "cardinal" comes from the Latin word "cardo" which means "hinge." This suggests that cardinal numbers are the fundamental numbers around which other mathematical concepts revolve. They are the foundation upon which other number systems, such as ordinal numbers, are built. While trying to learn the other number types besides cardinal and ordinal, I came across fuzzy numbers. My friend Gemini tells me that fuzzy numbers represent imprecise or uncertain quantities, allowing for a gradual transition between membership and non-membership.

What about infinity? Do we say infiniteth? This question was asked on reddit and I like this response by Epistaxis, "My calculus teacher was fond of saying "Infinity isn't a place; it's a direction." There isn't an ordinal for infinity because it's not a countable number. You could say nth if you're talking about some arbitrary integer n that goes in the direction of infinity." I learned that in set theory, the ordinal number ω (omega) is the smallest limit ordinal, meaning it is greater than every natural number. While searching for ordinal jokes I came across a cartoon for "special ordinals". One was 2th for tooth and another was 4st for forest. Quite clever. This got me thinking. How are ordinal number abbreviations 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th translated in other languages? In Spanish for example they use 1.ª (primera) for "first" (feminine) and 1.º (primero) for "first" (masculine). I feel like ending on a philosophical note. Every journey has a first step, second chances, and a final destination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...