Skip to main content

Life is beautiful

It is five in the morning. I already had my cup of tea. I reread what I wrote in my blog post yesterday and I thought to myself after contemplating for a short while that, "life is beautiful" and let me write about that. But what does that mean? Life is full of problems and strife and bad so then how could I say that life is beautiful? It is beautiful because we do not know the full of it and we wait for something better. It is like a magic trick. If you knew beforehand how the illusion was performed it takes away from the wonder. Once you learn how the illusion is performed then wonder turns into clarity. Islam teaches us that this life is just an illusion and the real life is in the hereafter. The beauty is in not knowing and depending on belief. I love Maths and equations and I am going to present two in this blog post. First is that the word belief contains the letters of the word life. Belief = be + life.

The second comes from the title. The letters of the word life are contained in the word beautiful. Beautiful = But a life u[nknown]. So much of our life is unknown and that makes it beautiful. We are left to wonder. Is that why we also say that life is wonderful? Wonder leads to appreciation. Wonder leads to belief. Wonder leads to reflection. Wonder leads to a search for answers. Wonder leads to discovery. This leads me to the topic of "the beauty of wonder in Islam". I could not find anything interesting through Google search and I think this is a topic worth exploring. I have come across the hadith that says that "Allah is beautiful and He loves beauty" but nothing on the beauty of wonder itself. I asked my friend Chatty to help me understand the topic and this is what he had to say:

In Islam, the beauty of wonder is deeply tied to the awe and appreciation of God's creation, encouraging believers to reflect on the vastness and intricacy of the universe as signs of Allah’s greatness. The Qur'an invites contemplation of nature, from the heavens and earth to the animals and plants, as a means of recognizing God's perfection and wisdom. This sense of wonder fosters humility and gratitude, deepening faith in the oneness of God (Tawhid) and inspiring a pursuit of excellence (Ihsan) in all aspects of life, including worship and interactions with the world around us. Through such reflection, believers experience a spiritual connection to the divine, finding beauty in both the visible and invisible aspects of creation.

This has me thinking. How could I explain this using an analogy? The thing that comes to mind is this. Do you appreciate food when you are hungry or when your belly is full? Certainly we appreciate food when we are hungry. Wonder is like hunger. It drives us to seek knowledge, to explore, and to discover. It is a hunger for meaning, for purpose, and for connection with something greater than ourselves. If we did not have this life then there would be no need for the afterlife. We only need paradise after experiencing this life. There can be no satiety without hunger. There can be no light without darkness. There can be no good without bad. There can be no afterlife without life. And there is beauty in realising this, at least for me.

*When I think about my mental illness I wonder now if it is that I had to lose my mind (so to speak) to find my mind

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...