Skip to main content

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

Note : I get a lot of views on this blog post. It helps with future updates, if you message me stating what you need help with.

See video on how to change password - Change Flow Trinidad Wifi Modem Password - TG2492LG-FLO



I had one of the early purely modem devices for about 7 or more years now. I connected this to my Linksys router and I was set. The router is old and does not have all the features of modern routers but it worked. Did a house call the other day and saw that the person had the WIFI modem with their AVS setup. Then it occurred to me that I should switch out my modem for a WIFI modem. That way I wouldn't have to worry about buying a new router when it was time for that. Made some notes after setting up my device and I am sharing it on my blog here.

  • I access the settings using the https link so that credentials entered are encrypted while communicating with the router - https://192.168.0.1/
  • The username is admin and the default password is printed on the bottom of the router.
  • I was told to skip the change password on first login prompt. Do it afterwards from the admin menu.
  • I chose to not broadcast SSID. You will have to manually add your WIFI to your devices if you do this. This is an extra layer of security.
  • I disabled 2.4 GHz. Reading that 5GHz gives less range but supports higher speeds and has less interference.
  • Love that there is a guest network separate for visitors where I can set a timer.
  • Discovered that there is nowhere to specify custom DNS. I can do that at the device level in Windows 10 for example if I really need it.
  • What I will do with the old router? Probably use it for experimenting with various custom firmware like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and Tomato - if they support my aging router. Read that MAYBE you can brick your device or not go back to stock with custom firmware sometimes.
  • WIFI modem is behind Flow's NAT. I guess if you need a public facing IP on the router you have to contact Flow.
  • There is a modem mode if you want your own connected router to be internet facing.
  • I always enable MAC address filtering to only allow my devices.
  • The branded settings UI is easy to use and simple and beautiful.
  • Initial passwords for the router settings and WIFI are labelled on the device. It is recommended that you change these.
  • Couldn't find a user guide online. Arris does not have one and says I need to contact the ISP. Maybe they should put a link to one or something. Hire me to do a video guide.
  • You can restrict internet at certain times for certain devices. Maybe something for the kids.
  • I disable UPnP because I don't use it and it feels more secure that way.
  • There is an on/off switch at the back and a reset button. I don't know what the reset button does and you should probably contact your ISP before resetting.
  • There are no QoS controls for you to adjust under settings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...