Skip to main content

Setting up a database server to use with my nodejs server on Android in Termux

Following from my blog post on nodejs on android I now wanted to install a database server so I could develop a simple CRUD web app and doing it all on Android.

MariaDB is a free and open source fork of MySQL and is what is available under Termux, which I already have installed and working. The following are the commands I used to install MariaDB.

$ apt update && apt upgrade
$ apt install mariadb

Next I started the server using

$ mysqld

What I learnt from doing this is that I can no longer run commands in the Termux session and what I should have done was run it in the background as follows. I could have also started a new Termux session.

$ mysqld_safe -u root &

But now I get the following error, "mysqld_safe A mysqld process already exists". I found out how to handle this as follows

$ killall mysqld mysqld_safe

This may take a few seconds and I can verify that no mysql processes are still running using the following command

$ ps aux | grep mysqld

Next I wanted to create a database and a table and add some rows and query that table

$ mysql -u root

I got the following error, "ERROR 1698 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'". This bug report comment explains in detail what was happening, not a bug really. I needed to use the second account to login.

I cannot use tsu because my device is not rooted, "/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/tsu: 144: exec: : Permission denied" and I did not make note of the second all priveleges account after install. I just reinstalled termux and mariadb because reinstalling mariadb was not displaying the second account info like the first time. Guessing I needed to do a clean install which I think requires tsu. Later learnt that the account was the same as my Termux account and I could figure this out using the whoami command.

I was now able to login and create my table and add some rows.

MariaDB in Termux


In a future blog post I will create a nodejs web app to connect to the database and display the rows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...