Setting up a database server to use with my nodejs server on Android in Termux

Following from my blog post on nodejs on android I now wanted to install a database server so I could develop a simple CRUD web app and doing it all on Android.

MariaDB is a free and open source fork of MySQL and is what is available under Termux, which I already have installed and working. The following are the commands I used to install MariaDB.

$ apt update && apt upgrade
$ apt install mariadb

Next I started the server using

$ mysqld

What I learnt from doing this is that I can no longer run commands in the Termux session and what I should have done was run it in the background as follows. I could have also started a new Termux session.

$ mysqld_safe -u root &

But now I get the following error, "mysqld_safe A mysqld process already exists". I found out how to handle this as follows

$ killall mysqld mysqld_safe

This may take a few seconds and I can verify that no mysql processes are still running using the following command

$ ps aux | grep mysqld

Next I wanted to create a database and a table and add some rows and query that table

$ mysql -u root

I got the following error, "ERROR 1698 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'". This bug report comment explains in detail what was happening, not a bug really. I needed to use the second account to login.

I cannot use tsu because my device is not rooted, "/data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/tsu: 144: exec: : Permission denied" and I did not make note of the second all priveleges account after install. I just reinstalled termux and mariadb because reinstalling mariadb was not displaying the second account info like the first time. Guessing I needed to do a clean install which I think requires tsu. Later learnt that the account was the same as my Termux account and I could figure this out using the whoami command.

I was now able to login and create my table and add some rows.

MariaDB in Termux


In a future blog post I will create a nodejs web app to connect to the database and display the rows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How was my day?

What makes us beautiful?

Are zebras black with white stripes or white with black stripes?

What is euouae?

Trinidad and Tobago Digital Readiness Assessment Survey