Skip to main content

Lessons from my work life

I was chilling in my room's AC hiding from the blazing sun outside and thinking what could be my next blog post. Then it occurred to me to write something about my work life. My very first job was at Computers and Controls in Port of Spain. I had just finished secondary school and I didn't have concrete university plans. My Math teacher helped me get that job. It didn't last more than a few days. I did not fit in. I couldn't socialise. I felt like a misfit. I cried. I was a young, dumb, broke high school kid as the song goes. I was book smart but not street smart. That is lesson number one. You need street smarts to survive in this world. The education system needs to do more to prepare us for the real world.

During university I worked part time conducting phone surveys. This was shift work from 6 pm to 10 pm on weekdays and 8am to 4pm on weekends. The challenge here was that I had an accent. Then the cold nights waiting for the bus to return to campus housing. This job taught me patience. I would have liked to be working in the tech field but this was the job that was easily available and the extra spending money made university life more comfortable.

Next I could talk about my internship experience. One summer I worked at Nestle in Trinidad and another summer I worked at Goldman Sachs in New York. I remember those experiences as being fun. As a temporary and inexperienced summer student I did not feel much burden on my shoulders. I did not feel like their was too much expectations. An internship was treated as a fun and learning experience. These taught me how to have fun. And it is easier to have fun doing something that I am passionate about. Technology is my passion.

Then came my full-time jobs after graduating from university. I worked a year on wall street in New York and then many years at various companies in Trinidad. The biggest lesson here was responsibility. I was an adult now. I had to make adult plans for the future now. The next lesson I learnt was that office work was not suited for me. I was too independent and then introverted. I much prefer entrepreneurship. Working for myself. Today I work for myself as a tech blogger and that suits me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...