Skip to main content

It is not the camera, it is the photographer



Sometimes we see a great photograph and the first question we ask is, what camera did you use? We might think that to take great photographs we need a fancy camera. The latest and greatest. I want to say that this is not true. A good camera helps but the main thing and most of the times is the effort and skills of the photographer. Many good photogs spend plenty time and effort honing their skills. We practice often and practice better.

Filters, lenses, dslr and flash can help but nothing beats the effort of the photograher. The best camera is the one you have. Make the best of what you have. If all that you have is your smartphone camera then make the best of that. Mobile phones have really made photography accessible to the masses. Good photogs are knowledgeable about lighting, angle, framing, bokeh, composition, dynamic range, exposure, aperture, shutter speed, dept of field, rule of thirds and golden hour among other things.

I get much joy from photography. For me it about creating memories. Everybody has their style. Embrace your style. I don't like distractions in my photos. I like clean photos with details. I take lots of photos and choose the right ones to share. There are lots of tutorials online and many great photogs online to follow. A great way to practice your photography is to take part in a photo 365 project.

I like this quote that I found online by Neeraj Agnihotri, "A camera is just a medium to capture what you have in your vision, and vision is something that cannot be bought." You will not always get that perfect photo and that is ok. The creativity, art and design of photography can help with other areas of our lives, for example for me with my web design and web development work. The next time you see a great photo, congratulate the photographer and not the camera.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...