Skip to main content

Teching out loud

It is the Carnival long weekend here in Trinidad and Tobago. I am here relaxing in the quiet of Warrenville thinking. A bunch of things. I say let me start a blog post and just write what comes to mind. A sort of thinking out loud. First on my mind is the dearth of local tech content creators. I get a big smile whenever I come across any local tech content. If you know of any Trinidad and Caribbean tech bloggers or tech youtubers please please share with me. Maybe the next MKBHD will come from the Caribbean. Maybe the next Steve Jobs will come from the Caribbean. I want to see and hear us.

Next I am thinking about some current affairs in the local tech space. Starlink application is waiting on the minister's approval. What ever happened to the 3rd mobile operator license? Waiting on TSTT to launch paypr. I thought Digicel would have launched an ewallet first. I dont know why they chose that name but I would have chosen something else. If you have local tech news and know of things that are coming please send me a message. See ways to contact me from the connect tab on my blog. Support your local content creators.

AI is a big trending topic these days. Do I worry about AI becoming dangerous? No I dont. I worry about human beings using AI to do bad things. The tech does not control us. We control the technology. I think there will be more good to come from AI. Also the tech is newish so it will be buggy. This is just a phase we will have to go through. We will learn and be better and make improvements.

Is the Ministry of Digital Transformation making an impact? Are we going somewhere? My wish for a long time was to have a dedicated minister and ministry of technology. I put a lot of my hopes for the local tech scene in the ministry of digital transformation and minister Hassel Bacchus. I see a lot of potential but I am worried that it will become same old same old and they are becoming just like all the other ministries of the past. I wish they would respond to my emails. I wish they would break the cycle. I wish they would be different. I wish they would recognise how important they are to our future progress and development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...