Skip to main content

Work from home and the future of work in Trinidad and Tobago

I came across this article, Employment of people with disabilities surges to a record high amid remote work policies, and it encouraged me to write on the topic of work from home. According to the article, "the recent push by companies urging workers to return to the office may threaten the gains made by disabled people." Decision makers have to always be mindful of vulnerable sections of society. Work from home is a great opportunity and advantage for the differently abled community in Trinidad and Tobago. We have to think about rights, inclusion and equity.

We in Trinidad and Tobago dispiritedly await the work from home policy from the government and the changes to come if it ever happens. It seems that the private sector would have to lead the way with example companies like Nestle and Media Insite. Work from home was a manifesto promise. Many persons would have voted because of those promises.

I am entitled to a viewpoint and I say the hold back on work from home in the government seems to me like excuses. Their thinking is colonial and outdated and lazy. Instead of saying we are not technically ready and trinis are indisciplined, how about saying, we were able to adapt and move quickly and successfully for a long period in the pandemic. Priority will be given to implementing work from home and with some tweaking and our performance management systems we will roll out work from home on a phased basis starting in 6 months time.

There was plenty of noise on social media calling for work from home. The next generation gets it. The next generation is willing to put technology to work for country development. The next generation wants smart work and not hard work. Our voices matter. In many of our minds, the advantages of work from home far outweighs the disadvantages. Who knows, maybe the powers that be are reading my blog.

To this day I still remember this quote from a young citizen about online schooling, "I should be able to say what works best for me. My voice matters so I should be able to choose." from my blog post, What would it take for a Technology Revolution to happen in Trinidad and Tobago? I also wrote another blog post, How you can convince your boss to work from home?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...