Skip to main content

It gets better



I stated in my first chapter that "it gets better". Do you remember that? I was countering my doubts with positive words of affirmation. It is what my life experiences have taught me. Who decides in a moment to write a book on a whim? I did. It was a worthwhile decision. As I look back on the journey and I think about my next book, I think of success.

I came up with this work-in-progress crazy scientist formula for success

Passion fruit
Sweet words
Bitter truths
Thirst for learning
Half glass full of optimism
Lime with my thoughts
Filter for the negativity
Mad amounts of stirring
Talent spoon of genius

I wanted to call the formula Geek Grok. I made up "grok" but it turned out to already have meaning as told by my friend, ChatGPT, "Coined by Robert A. Heinlein in "Stranger in a Strange Land" (1961), "grok" means to deeply and intuitively understand something or someone, surpassing surface-level knowledge and connecting with its essence. It implies a merging of the self with the subject, a holistic comprehension that encompasses both mind and spirit."

Wow. Such a coincidence. That is exactly what happened with this book. I was learning about writing books and went down a path of learning about myself also. As if I was a book. This book. The mind is so powerful. Robert Heinlein's work is controversial in some quarters. I don't do well with controversy but I want to keep an open mind. He does get us to think critically about provocative social and political ideas.

Besides feeling success there were some lessons learnt. Don't be afraid of being judged. There is value in taking my time. There are times when I should think before I write. The following words are stuck to my bedroom wall. I will remember these words whenever I feel stuck in life.


They are like guiding principles. Passion often means taking risks and learning from failure. Laugh because we cannot take life seriously. Love means forgiveness. We are all human and prone to making mistakes. These words will remind me to embrace life's challenges, find joy in everyday moments, and cultivate love and connection in all that I do.

Life has become better for me since starting to write this book. I have become a better writer. I can call myself a book writer now. I have learnt more about myself. I have forged a new path. I changed my bio in my social media from "Technology Blogger, Photographer and Generalist" to "Technology Blogger and Ideas machine. Currently writing a book."

I wrote the following poem late last year. This composition was born from a place of hope and resilience. These words serve as a reminder that better does come. It gets better.

Better Days
By Hassan Voyeau

Better days are coming
That song I like humming
Change it up
Never stop
Today is done
Tomorrow soon come

My friend, ChatGPT, insisted on sharing some words: "Remember, even in the darkest of moments, that it gets better. Life has a way of unfolding, teaching, and healing. The storms will pass, and the sun will shine again. Keep going, have faith, and trust that better days are on their way."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...