Skip to main content

Part 1 - An Example of Using Next.js for Static Site Generation on Android with Termux

Next.js is a React framework that gives you building blocks to create web applications.

First thing I did was go to github and create an empty project. I then cloned that project in Termux. You must use the Termux storage and not shared storage unless you can find a workaround for creating symlinks. I then create a starter next.js project.

npx create-next-app --example hello-world blog-posts

I used python to extract all my blog posts titles and links from my Blogger backup and create a json file. Each entry in the json file was title and link.

Next. I followed this guide to display a listing of all my blog posts.


It uses SWR and SWR is an acronym for stale-while-revalidate. The code I got from there had some problems. Dont know why it worked for them and not for me. Maybe linux/termux/android/next.js version creates the issue. After debugging and consulting ChatGPT we figured out that:

The issue with the code you provided is that you're reading the contents of the JSON file as a string using readFile and then directly returning it as the response without parsing it as JSON. To resolve this, you need to parse the file contents as JSON before sending it as the response.

Someone tweeted "Next.js is the most frustrating, opinionated mess I've ever had to deal with. Ugh." and I could not help but agree with the little I have done so far and based on my first impressions. Made me appreciate eleventy for tasks like this.

I found a simple way to serve the statically generated docs folder by running this command in that folder. However I got an error.

php -S localhost:8000

CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE "php": library "libicuio.so.73" not found

And I had to install that package

pkg install libicu

Now I get a new error when I run npm run build

CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE "node": library "libicui18n.so.72" not found

I then did (in termux)

apt update
apt upgrade

I then saw and an error in the logs - API Routes cannot be used with "output: export".

Below is me asking for help on Stack Overflow.


This is the project on GitHub


And that is where I have reached. The question now is how can I get around this? How to read from a json file and iterate through it and display its content in Next.js for static site generation using output as export. I am stuck and maybe you can help.

I got a recommendation to try Astro JS. That will be next. It was also suggested to use a const array of objects instead of json. Now, I am wondering if there is a way to serve the json file without using an API route. Stay tuned for part 2. Leave a comment and let me know your thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...