Skip to main content

Make memories

I found this quote and I liked it. Jeremy Irons said, "We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams." Check out my last blog post, let us dream together, after you read this blog post. I have been on this Earth for forty three years now. My earliest memories are located in Mount Pleasant, Arima. I remember hiding under the bed and eating powdered milk as a child. I remember the leaky roof. I remember crossing the ravine with my mother. Some memories remain with me and some have faded and some are gone forever.

Education was a focal point of my younger years. The mantra was to get a good education to get a good job and make a good living. Passing common entrance for Saint Mary's College and then graduating from Morehouse College were happy memories from that journey. I remember hearing UB40 for the first time in my aunt's dance studio and falling in love with their music. To this day their music gives me the feels. Music lives with us. Through the good times and through the bad times.

I remember having a breakdown and being hospitalized in New York and the nurse teasing me with "trini to the bone" from the David Rudder song. I remember being so sick and just wanting to go back home. "Sweet sweet T and T, Lord how I love up dis country, no place in dis world I'd rather be." We like to lime and eat good food. Trips to the grocery to pick up eatables punctuate my memories. I have always battled with eating healthy and exercise. Sometimes my basket only has the healthy stuff. Sometimes I am coming home with a pint of funky chunky monkey.

I love walking. There were times when I would walk to the Aranguez Savannah and make about seven laps I think it was and then walk back to home in El Socorro. There were no urinals so I had to make use of the bush sometimes. Is that good fertilizer? Those walks took me about three hours. I once walked from San Juan to Port of Spain. Sometimes I did bird photography on my walks. A bird I tried a few times to capture but I didnt was the red and black tanager.

I write this blog post without much effort as there are so many memories to choose from and I remember a tweet I made earlier today, "collect moments not things". I am a loner and most of my memories are with myself or my mom. I am alone but not lonely. I spend a lot of time online and connected on the world wide web. I capture memories with photos, videos, blog posts, poems and art. I have not been to Tobago in seven years and counting. This is a poem I penned some months ago that I would like to end with.

Tobago
by Hassan Voyeau

Walking along the sand
Camera in my hand
Memories we create
Great food we ate
Throw my troubles away
Give thanks and pray

Comments

Anonymous said…
I actually love this post. It's palpable, the feelings of you looking back

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...