Skip to main content

Food for thought

I was thinking about pi last night and wondering if it really does have infinite decimal places that do not repeat. Then I came across this and this today that made me curious more and want to study pi some more. Basically this blog post is about me asking questions. Can I say that the topic is pi-quant. Interestingly enough the word piquant has two meanings 1. having a pleasantly sharp taste or appetizing flavor and 2. pleasantly stimulating or exciting to the mind.

Is it a fact that pi has infinite decimals after the point that do not rep-eat? (I see what I did there). I must be thinking of f∞d. According to my friend Bard, the answer is yes and has been proven to be irrational. Is this true for all irrational numbers? Also yes. While chatting with Bard, I noticed a pattern that 1/17 has a 16 digit repeating pattern and 1/23 has a 22 digit repeating pattern and 1/97 has a 96 digit repeating pattern. An approximation to pi is 22/7 which involves 1/7 and this has a 6 digit repeating pattern.

This leads me to some questions. Is there a general rule for the relationship between numerator and denominator and the length of the repeating pattern? Can I say that 1 divided by infinity will give a repeating pattern that is infinity-1 in length? And is that useful to think about somehow? Is pi related to division by infinity or infinity in some useful way that we have not thought of already? To me the infinity symbol is really a circle that has been twisted. According to my friend Bard, the earliest known symbol resembling infinity dates back to ancient Egypt and Greece, where it appeared as a serpent or dragon eating its own tail, called Ouroboros. According to wikipedia π is the sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet and it has a value of 80 in the Greek numeral system and it came from the Phoenician letter pē, which meant mouth.

Now some more thoughts and questions. If I have a number I can always add 1 to it to make it bigger. Is it true to say that if I have a non-repeating number pattern I can always make it longer by repeating the pattern twice and combining those and changing the last digit up or down by 1? This works if the number is base-2 or higher. But in base-1 there are no non-repeating numbers and in base-infinity every number is a non-repeating number as you would need a different symbol to represent each number.

Which leads to my final two questions. In base-2 there are certain fractions that cannot be represented accurately as they are in base-10. Does this mean that there might be a higher base that we can use to represent pi finitely and accurately? I think the answer is no because irrationality is a property of the number and not because of its representation but I still have to ask. Is it possible to create a number system where every number is represented as related to pi? Writing this blog post has given me some food for thought and enough to want a pi-ece* of pecan pi-e and learn about pi and infinity some more. It does help that pecans are shaped like brains and can be considered brain food. Share your interesting finds about pi in the comments below.

*Here ece from pi-ece of pi-e could be short for euler's constant (e) - which is a related and fun concept

*Also I discovered that my blog post has 3141 characters if I include title and delete one word at the end (below) and I ignore punctuation (73) and ignore numeric characters (34). An interesting (to me) coin-c-id-ence - id being pi if I flipped it - like flipping a coin - head and tail - which takes me back to Ouroboros. Maybe the c in coin-c-idence could be circle.

*Correction e=eulers number which is different from eulers constant (γ)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...