Skip to main content

Wayback machine

It is an overcast and raining morning in Trinidad and I am here browsing the Internet Archive's wayback machine from around the year 2000 looking at some of the early websites from Trinidad. My morning started earlier when I emailed TSTT asking them what history they had for cell phones in Trinidad and also specifically the first cell phone used in Trinidad. In my search I was then reminded that we first had analog cell service. This was since December 1991 under the brand name Cellnet and was later upgraded to digital in 1999. The first phase of the upgrade cost 147 million dollars in those days. Then I ended up glancing at the history of bulletin boards in Trinidad and came across an early computer shop in Trinidad called Computerland (Trinidad Computers Limited). In trying to get more info about them I ended up on the list of eligible jurors from the year 2000 which listed profession and place of work. I searched for "computer" and came across a few more places like Computers and Controls, Computer Planet, Microcomputer Systems Limited and Creative Computers.

According to my friend Bard, the first website in Trinidad would have probably been UWI's website. I then started looking at the gov.tt website from the year 2000 and discovered that we had a ministry of communications and technology back then. I then ended up on the ittnt.com website and saw that they had listed some consultations: Development of a Science Technology and Innovation Park in Trinidad and Tobago, Potential Areas for Information Technology Research and Development in Trinidad and Tobago, and Developing & Selling Software to North America. One of the objectives listed was, "Produce high quality IT products/services for export." More than 20 years laters we are yet to make enough strides in this area. There is recent talk that coming out of DHub and the DHub Challenges we would have a Software Export Company. I like the following goal that was listed back in 1998, "Become a world-class leader in specific Information Technology areas".

One of the other items mentioned was "An Online IT Expertise Database" and this is something that the current DHub is looking to address. I also ended up on the Information Technology Professional Society of Trinidad and Tobago (ITPS) website from back in the day. I recognised a few names like Roger Morris, John Lewis, Rabindra Jaggernauth, Lorcan Camps, Marc Chin Aleong and Ian Galt. The ITTNT website had a list of local tech companies back then and I recognised Savannah Computing under Software Development. I contacted them and asked if they would be willing to contribute a few paragraphs describing the early days of software development in Trinidad. I pointed them to the series of blog posts I have started.

Doing this has made me nostalgic and a bit disappointed that I was not making notes and keeping memories from the tech space back in the days. I went to the national archives website and it is disappointing that much of our archives are not online. I would have loved to search the newspapers archives for tech related news and stories from back in the days. If I could go back I would have saved clippings myself. I like that our history teaches us. I realize that there are unrealised and good ideas and thoughts from the techies of the past. The history also allows us to appreciate how far we have come. In 2004 I shared this article I found on my blog about the future of the internet being the Quantum Internet. I hear a lot about quantum computing these days but not much about the quantum internet. The article points to a limit we would reach soon and I asked Bard about this and his response was, "No, we haven't reached the limit on how fast the internet could be, even considering the concerns mentioned in the 2004 article. While the internet based on classical bits and light pulses does face capacity limitations, advancements in technology and infrastructure are constantly pushing the boundaries of what's possible."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...

Softness

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for softness. The gentleness of prayer. The calmness of the heart. The patience of the mind. The soft sounds of nature. The cool breezes of shade. The slow movement of sand in the hand. The kindness of strangers. The soothing voices of Quran. The warm embrace of the azan. I move through life with softness in my heart. I move through life with joy. I move through life wishing good for others. There is a peace that comes with being soft. The angels surround those who are soft. Soft like the winds of heaven. Soft like the clouds in the sky. Easy like Friday morning. May I never lose this softness that allows me to see beauty and goodness in everything and everyone. The world tries to harden me but I refuse. I walk upon the earth softly. I love without fear. My every breath is a prayer of gratitude. Let my heart remain like grains of sand in the hands of God that are softly he...

Light

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for light. The Quran is the light of mankind. The Quran is the light of this life. The Quran is the delight of the heart. God is the source of this light. The Quran is a miracle. God shine your light on my path and bring ease with it. Though I may struggle on your path, let me keep returning to where your light shines. What do I notice by looking at the word light? G stands in the middle of light. G for God. One side we have li for life and on the other side we have ht which is short for hayat or life in Arabic. I am almost through reading the English Quran for a second time. Today I passed surah 61 verse 6 which states that Jesus had announced the coming of the prophet (peace be upon him). That verse stood out to me out of all the verses I have read so far. Muhammad (pbuh) was the one tasked with bringing the light of the Quran for mankind. I just noticed that the end of ...