Skip to main content

Does time have a speed?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

My basic Physics tells me that the answer is no and I could end there. But my gut feeling is saying that time does have a speed even if it is just from a philosophical point of view. We often hear people say "time dragging today" or "time passing fast these days" or "the days are getting shorter" or "time stopped for a moment". Then what about time dilation? I asked my friend Gemini and he explained: Though not our everyday experience, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, time actually can run slower or faster depending on gravity and velocity. So, in a very literal sense, time has different speeds in different situations! He further states: Our perception of time is heavily influenced by our emotional state and focus. When we're bored, time seems to drag. When we're engaged, it flies. These expressions like "time stopped" capture that feeling of being completely immersed in the present moment.

Intrigued by this question, I pestered Gemini with another question, is our perception of time philosophical or psychological? To which he replied: It is both. Here's an analogy: Imagine time as a river. Physics might tell us the river's overall flow rate. Psychology studies the water's behavior and how the water churns around rocks. Philosophy, on the other hand, might debate if the river is truly water or just a flowing illusion, questioning the river's very nature. Some consider neuroscience to be involved as well, as it explores the brain regions responsible for our perception of time.

This reminds me of a poem I wrote some time ago, 30th of October 2022 to be exact, called "A river of clocks". Life can be like a river of clocks. But the soul transcends time.

Drop by drop, time goes by
How many seconds can we buy?
Where does this river go?
We just go with the flow
Time has made my boat holey
This is what I have solely

I remember being told one time that perhaps I have too much time on my hands. I disagreed thinking that we all have the same twenty four hours but we choose to use our time differently based on our priorities. Does an evening spent gazing at the fall of the sun below the horizon count as a waste of time? Who does time belong to? Someone might say that you are wasting their time. Time is money. Does that mean that time can be bought? We cannot turn back the hands of time. Time waits on no man. Why are you chasing after time? Time goes nowhere. Waiting on time to pass. We have so many common ways of talking about time. The personification of time. Time is one of us. Time moves at the speed of thought. Each thought moves us closer or further from understanding. Each question is a force for learning. I wont worry about going fast or slow, it is the thoughtfulness that counts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...