Skip to main content

What if butter was made from flies?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

I was thinking about butterflies. The word butterfly. Why did we decide to combine butter and fly to create the name of an insect? There is probably a normal explanation for that but then my mind decided to be weird. What if butter was made from flies? Then we would really be able to combine the words butter and fly. But then that would be fly butter or flutter. It is a crazy idea but not a novel idea. My friend Gemini tells me that research and experimentation is being done that takes fly larvae and soaking and blending to separate the fat to produce cooking oil. This is not exactly butter but is still called bug butter and can be used as a replacement in some baking and some cooking. The researchers actually made a cake with the bug butter. But what about the word butterfly? How did this originate? Gemini tells me that it remains a mystery but there are a couple of popular theories. Like from the yellowish colour of some butterfly wings or from folklore where butterflies or witches disguised as butterflies were stealing milk and butter.

In my quest for an answer I came across the butterfly effect concept. My silly thought journey has led me here. Something I have thought about before. But I did not know there was a name for it and that it has been widely discussed. The idea that an action can cause a much larger one in the future through a chain reaction. This is from the realms of chaos theory. Imagine that a butterfly flapping its wings in one part of the world might cause a tornado many miles away. Sometimes I hear someone say I was going to play that number in play whe, I would have won some money. But then I think, if you had played the number, it is possible that your change of action would have caused a ripple of events that caused a different number to play. My silly caterpillar of a question has become a butterfly of curiosity in my mind now.

But does that mean that our small acts of kindness can cause tornadoes? Gemini tells me that the butterfly effect deals with physical systems like weather patterns. While primarily acts of kindness influence the social and emotional environment. But what if the butterfly effect applied to all of life? In that case it makes sense to focus on the outcomes that we can positively influence with our actions and leave the rest up to God. This reminds me of the Serenity Prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr, "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference." There is also the concept that unlucky events can lead to lucky events and vice versa. I wish I had found in my research a theory that was versus chaos theory that describes the group working together to have massive impacts. I would think group theory would be a fitting name. Normally I would say when life gives you lemons make lemonade. But I think when life gives you flies make butter would apply to this chapter. A fitting ending message would be for us to make the best of where we are and what we have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...