Skip to main content

Why another book?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns


I was not going to write another book until next year but it seems like yearning combined with boredom combined with fate led me to start this book today. Ramadan begins today in Trinidad and one way to look at fasting is that it allows the fasting person to feel the pain of hunger and thirst of others. To walk in the shoes of others who struggle to sustain themselves normally. To do without. To sacrifice. I had no idea what this book would be about or what it would be titled until I decided to start this afternoon and I was brainstorming ideas. Humans are naturally inclined to seek knowledge and ask plenty of questions. Growing up means being encouraged to ask plenty of questions and we are told that there are no stupid questions but only stupid answers. Every chapter of this book would be some question that I ask and explore and try to answer.


I came up with the acronym "WHY - When Hunger Yearns" for this book because that is what it feels like when we ask questions. When we learn. When we explore. When we expand our mind. When we expand our thinking. When we seek knowledge. When we try to fill the gaps of ignorance. When we seek light. When we try to make sense of the world. When we seek enlightenment. My friend Gemini shares a quote with me from Dagobert Runes that reads, "Hunger for knowledge is a mark of wisdom. Seek learning while you yearn for it." This makes me think of the phrase, "questions are the food of the mind." With this book I want to ask a lot of questions. I want this book to be food for thought. A quest-ion is a quest for knowledge. To yearn for deeper understanding. To exercise the mind. To find meaning. To be human. To be intelligent. To be wise.


I write because it allows me to express myself and bring clarity to my thoughts. I share what I write because I feel through my writing I can make a difference in this world. Writing makes me a better person. I write because it is the right thing for me. I am grateful for the ability and opportunity to write this book. Whenever we ask why we can also ask why not. Why should I not write this book? Does it make me vulnerable and look foolish? Not many people will read this book? I am not a good writer? Me looking foolish means I am stepping outside my comfort zone and taking chances and that is a good thing. All I need is one person to read my book and that can create a ripple of good. And that one person can be me. Every good writer was once a not good writer. So why not write this book? Too late to stop now and I have already written the first chapter which I am sharing on my blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...