Skip to main content

Why is instant tea not common?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

There is coffee then there is tea. It is debatable whether they are friends or rivals. Tea drinkers and coffee drinkers have been bantering over them for generations. I read that tea is older than coffee, with the earliest mentions of tea dating back to one thousand BCE in southwestern China. I would like to add to the debate by pointing out that you can find instant coffee everywhere but not so with instant tea. Added to that there are less brands and flavors of instant tea than instant coffee. Before I continue I would like to share that I learnt that the Kuki hojicha is a tea that tastes almost identical to black coffee. I guess there is an option if you want the best of both worlds. What about the other way? One of the world's most expensive coffees is the Geisha variety grown in Panama which I read has a distinctive tea-like profile.

I don't like to drink tea because I don't consume any hot drink or hot food. I have a phobia that this would damage my throat. It is not my cup of tea. My mom loves tea and has a few cups a day. I am often the one who makes the tea. I am an expert in making tea in that sense. I asked my mom if she would prefer instant tea if it was available and she said yes as it would be easier to make. More convenient. I have always thought that tea bags are a waste of tea and not the most efficient way to extract all the tea from tea leaves. Hence I have been fascinated by the idea of instant tea. My friend Gemini helped me make sense of my thinking.

He said that I was right that tea bags do have limitations. Not all the flavor and beneficial compounds are released from the leaves during steeping. Used tea bags often end up in landfills, contributing to waste. Instant is really more convenient and there is potential to capture more flavor. However, purists often find instant tea lacks the depth and complexity of properly brewed loose leaf tea. Additionally, many instant tea mixes include sugar, artificial flavors, and fillers, which can alter the taste and health aspects of the beverage.

You know what. Maybe not everything has to be about efficiency and convenience. In a world where everything is fast this and fast that it is good to have opportunities to simply slow down. Take our time. Be part of something traditional. Something that allows us to be mindful and live in the moment. In a modern fast-paced world then brewing tea has held out as a reminder that sometimes we need to slow down, enjoy the process and take the long route home. I wonder if there are people who grow and prepare their own tea? My friend Gemini says absolutely yes and they are often referred to as tea enthusiasts or homegrown tea connoisseurs. Well is that not dainty or should I say daintea? That would be a cool name for a tea brand. Jonathan Stroud once said, "Making tea is a ritual that stops the world from falling in on you." Tea making is such a peaceful (teaceful) escape from the war of modernism. Makes me want to shout, "Make tea not war!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
A beautiful read ❤️

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...