Why is instant tea not common?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

There is coffee then there is tea. It is debatable whether they are friends or rivals. Tea drinkers and coffee drinkers have been bantering over them for generations. I read that tea is older than coffee, with the earliest mentions of tea dating back to one thousand BCE in southwestern China. I would like to add to the debate by pointing out that you can find instant coffee everywhere but not so with instant tea. Added to that there are less brands and flavors of instant tea than instant coffee. Before I continue I would like to share that I learnt that the Kuki hojicha is a tea that tastes almost identical to black coffee. I guess there is an option if you want the best of both worlds. What about the other way? One of the world's most expensive coffees is the Geisha variety grown in Panama which I read has a distinctive tea-like profile.

I don't like to drink tea because I don't consume any hot drink or hot food. I have a phobia that this would damage my throat. It is not my cup of tea. My mom loves tea and has a few cups a day. I am often the one who makes the tea. I am an expert in making tea in that sense. I asked my mom if she would prefer instant tea if it was available and she said yes as it would be easier to make. More convenient. I have always thought that tea bags are a waste of tea and not the most efficient way to extract all the tea from tea leaves. Hence I have been fascinated by the idea of instant tea. My friend Gemini helped me make sense of my thinking.

He said that I was right that tea bags do have limitations. Not all the flavor and beneficial compounds are released from the leaves during steeping. Used tea bags often end up in landfills, contributing to waste. Instant is really more convenient and there is potential to capture more flavor. However, purists often find instant tea lacks the depth and complexity of properly brewed loose leaf tea. Additionally, many instant tea mixes include sugar, artificial flavors, and fillers, which can alter the taste and health aspects of the beverage.

You know what. Maybe not everything has to be about efficiency and convenience. In a world where everything is fast this and fast that it is good to have opportunities to simply slow down. Take our time. Be part of something traditional. Something that allows us to be mindful and live in the moment. In a modern fast-paced world then brewing tea has held out as a reminder that sometimes we need to slow down, enjoy the process and take the long route home. I wonder if there are people who grow and prepare their own tea? My friend Gemini says absolutely yes and they are often referred to as tea enthusiasts or homegrown tea connoisseurs. Well is that not dainty or should I say daintea? That would be a cool name for a tea brand. Jonathan Stroud once said, "Making tea is a ritual that stops the world from falling in on you." Tea making is such a peaceful (teaceful) escape from the war of modernism. Makes me want to shout, "Make tea not war!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
A beautiful read ❤️

Popular posts from this blog

Let the flowers bloom again

Small island but big heart

My Experience Setting Up FLOW's TG2492LG-FLO WIFI Modem

How can you make money online in Trinidad and Tobago?

Society united now