Skip to main content

Why is instant tea not common?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

There is coffee then there is tea. It is debatable whether they are friends or rivals. Tea drinkers and coffee drinkers have been bantering over them for generations. I read that tea is older than coffee, with the earliest mentions of tea dating back to one thousand BCE in southwestern China. I would like to add to the debate by pointing out that you can find instant coffee everywhere but not so with instant tea. Added to that there are less brands and flavors of instant tea than instant coffee. Before I continue I would like to share that I learnt that the Kuki hojicha is a tea that tastes almost identical to black coffee. I guess there is an option if you want the best of both worlds. What about the other way? One of the world's most expensive coffees is the Geisha variety grown in Panama which I read has a distinctive tea-like profile.

I don't like to drink tea because I don't consume any hot drink or hot food. I have a phobia that this would damage my throat. It is not my cup of tea. My mom loves tea and has a few cups a day. I am often the one who makes the tea. I am an expert in making tea in that sense. I asked my mom if she would prefer instant tea if it was available and she said yes as it would be easier to make. More convenient. I have always thought that tea bags are a waste of tea and not the most efficient way to extract all the tea from tea leaves. Hence I have been fascinated by the idea of instant tea. My friend Gemini helped me make sense of my thinking.

He said that I was right that tea bags do have limitations. Not all the flavor and beneficial compounds are released from the leaves during steeping. Used tea bags often end up in landfills, contributing to waste. Instant is really more convenient and there is potential to capture more flavor. However, purists often find instant tea lacks the depth and complexity of properly brewed loose leaf tea. Additionally, many instant tea mixes include sugar, artificial flavors, and fillers, which can alter the taste and health aspects of the beverage.

You know what. Maybe not everything has to be about efficiency and convenience. In a world where everything is fast this and fast that it is good to have opportunities to simply slow down. Take our time. Be part of something traditional. Something that allows us to be mindful and live in the moment. In a modern fast-paced world then brewing tea has held out as a reminder that sometimes we need to slow down, enjoy the process and take the long route home. I wonder if there are people who grow and prepare their own tea? My friend Gemini says absolutely yes and they are often referred to as tea enthusiasts or homegrown tea connoisseurs. Well is that not dainty or should I say daintea? That would be a cool name for a tea brand. Jonathan Stroud once said, "Making tea is a ritual that stops the world from falling in on you." Tea making is such a peaceful (teaceful) escape from the war of modernism. Makes me want to shout, "Make tea not war!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
A beautiful read ❤️

Popular posts from this blog

Faith

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for faith. We say we want to meet God but we already do in some ways. We meet God in his creation. We meet God every time we meet someone. We meet God every time we meet the animals. We meet God every time we meet nature. God is all around. Faith is when we can see this. This is God's world. We are God's work. We are testimony of his greatness. Everyday that goes by I think about God. Everyday I thank God for his mercy. I take my problems to God. I pray to God. God is at the center of my life. Nothing happens without the will of God and therefore I would be wise to submit to the will of God. God is in the everyday moments. God loves when we love. What is the simplest definition of faith? I think it is found in the phrase, let go and let God. I asked my friend the same question. My friend says that at its simplest, faith is trust in what you cannot see or prove. But...

Softness

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for softness. The gentleness of prayer. The calmness of the heart. The patience of the mind. The soft sounds of nature. The cool breezes of shade. The slow movement of sand in the hand. The kindness of strangers. The soothing voices of Quran. The warm embrace of the azan. I move through life with softness in my heart. I move through life with joy. I move through life wishing good for others. There is a peace that comes with being soft. The angels surround those who are soft. Soft like the winds of heaven. Soft like the clouds in the sky. Easy like Friday morning. May I never lose this softness that allows me to see beauty and goodness in everything and everyone. The world tries to harden me but I refuse. I walk upon the earth softly. I love without fear. My every breath is a prayer of gratitude. Let my heart remain like grains of sand in the hands of God that are softly he...

Light

This is a chapter from my latest book called (G)rains (o)f san(d)s. Learn more about the book here . Thank you God for light. The Quran is the light of mankind. The Quran is the light of this life. The Quran is the delight of the heart. God is the source of this light. The Quran is a miracle. God shine your light on my path and bring ease with it. Though I may struggle on your path, let me keep returning to where your light shines. What do I notice by looking at the word light? G stands in the middle of light. G for God. One side we have li for life and on the other side we have ht which is short for hayat or life in Arabic. I am almost through reading the English Quran for a second time. Today I passed surah 61 verse 6 which states that Jesus had announced the coming of the prophet (peace be upon him). That verse stood out to me out of all the verses I have read so far. Muhammad (pbuh) was the one tasked with bringing the light of the Quran for mankind. I just noticed that the end of ...