Skip to main content

Where does this door lead?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

It is 333pm on a Sunday afternoon. I was just watching a youtube short with Kes and I learnt about his "Man with no door" album. He was inspired literally by a man who he found that lived with no door to his house. In an interview Kes says, "He just lives free" and "I felt like that creatively at the time. I am the man with no door." This is how I want to be when I write my next book called Freedom. Freedom can easily be written as freedoor in the context of the beginning of this chapter. I found a bed and breakfast in Poland called Pokoje FreeDoor. Pokoje means rooms in Polish but no idea what FreeDoor means. I will email them. I once created an art piece where a door was created from the letters of the word love and I captioned it "love opens doors". Through a Google search of "door 333" I found the https://doorsoftallinn.com/ website. A beautiful collection of ornate and often wooden doors of the old town of Tallinn in Estonia. The town is a UNESCO world heritage site. Coincidentally the website has photos of doors numbered 1 to 334. Just one more than 333. Just one more door. Whitney Houston sang that she does not want to close one more door in her song "I have nothing".

I read on wikipedia that, "The name Tallinn(a) is Estonian. It has been widely considered a historical derivation of Taani-linna, meaning "Danish-castle", conceivably because the Danish invaders built the castle in place of the Estonian stronghold after the 1219 battle of Lyndanisse." Back to door #333. It is a beautifully painted yellow and white door with green accents. The door belongs to a house located on Vana-Kalamaja street. I imagine what it would be like living in that house and opening the door to that house and exploring the area. My friend Gemini tells me that literally translated, Vana-Kalamaja means "Old Fish House" or "Old Fish Market." This makes sense considering the area's historical connection to the fishing industry. Close by to this house is a coffee shop and then a Thai restaurant. There is a spa and art supply store and pharmacy and bakery. The typical things you would find in a town.

Close by is the Kalamaja Museum. It is a community museum and a joint project with the people of the area. I think we in Trinidad can learn something from this. I would love to see some community museums in Trinidad. Where people contribute items and stories to the museum. I will share this thought with the Ministry of Community Development. One of the exhibitions I find very interesting is where they took some old photos from family albums and wrote the accompanying stories for the family. It gives us a glimpse into the footsteps of the past and this is a fascinating journey back in time. I wonder if any of those families have any connection to Trinidad? I saw in one family where one of the sons traveled to Brazil for work. In doing research I discovered the Trinidad Wiseman software company in Tallinn. Now I am curious how they came up with that name and I could not find that information online. I messaged them and do not expect a reply now because when I checked, the time in Estonia was 111am. I saw that Trinidad Consulting was merged with Wiseman Interactive. A wise man once said, "The world is a door and a traveler is one who opens it." That wise man was Ibn Battuta. I am not able to travel physically to these places but I can certainly open doors through my writing and reading. These doors lead to a wiser person in me. A wiser writer and storyteller.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...