Skip to main content

Where is the end of the internet?

This is a chapter from my fourth book called When hunger yearns

Sometimes I feel like I have reached the end of the internet. I have seen it all. There is nothing else to see and do. But where is the end of the internet? Is it a magical place like the end of a rainbow? Does the end take us back to the beginning? Maybe the internet is like the universe and it is infinitely big and there is no end? https://hmpg.net/ claims to be the end of the internet. Now that I have reached the end of the internet they suggest reading a book or planting a tree. I came across this article a Verge writer did in 2013 about the year he came off the internet for a year. It was a sort of case study to learn what it would be like to disconnect from the internet for a year and learn what the internet had done to him. From what I gathered he realized it was not the internet's fault. It is just a tool and we have to make the most of it. There are traps in the offline world in the same way we think of traps in the online world.

At first I was like "the end of the internet" is abbreviated teti. A Google search led me to King Teti of Egypt and the pyramid of Teti. But then I realized that it should really be teoti and that led me to Teotihuacan in Mexico City where there are pyramids. The city's name translates to "the place where the gods were created". Soon after I discovered the information pyramid which shows the relationship among data, information, knowledge and wisdom. Data being at the bottom of the pyramid and wisdom being at the top of the pyramid. Maybe we are meant to find wisdom at the end of the internet. I even saw where some have placed the internet at the bottom of Maslow's pyramid. Something we prioritize above everything else even before physical needs. While I search for wisdom and the end of the internet, I come across pieces that suggest the internet and lately AI means the end of wisdom. And what about this Quora question, "Does the Internet falsely encourage the belief that everyone is a universal expert, source of infinite wisdom and comic genius?"

Coincidentally when I searched for "Finding wisdom at the end of the internet" I found this book called the Wisdom Pyramid by Brett McCracken. In an interview he says, "Wisdom is knowing where you're going and sticking to that. Foolishness is straying off the path and being susceptible to people calling for your attention on the periphery of the path." The web link describes the book as, "Helping believers navigate today’s media-saturated culture, Brett McCracken presents a biblical case for wisdom. Using the illustration of a Wisdom Pyramid, he points readers to more lasting and reliable sources of wisdom—not for their own glorification, but ultimately for God’s." I went looking for the end of the internet and found a reminder about God's wisdom. In the end we have to face God and that is true wisdom.

*You may be like me and wondering what hmpg stands for? It stands for HoMePaGe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...