Skip to main content

Hope

This is a chapter from my fifth book called Freedom

"The freest person is the one with the most hope." - Gabriel Marcel. It was 123am and I came across that quote shared by @mymind on Twitter. The op-posite of h-op-e is he-sitation. My friend Gemini tells me that implies a lack of confidence or certainty about the future, which can be the opposite of the op-timism often associated with hope. Out of hesitation we get "the situation" by adding t and u. Hope can propel us out of bad situations to understanding. Understanding that we should let go of the things that we cannot control. This reminds me of the serenity prayer.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

I would like to put emphasis on "change the things I can" which has 19 letters and 23 characters with spaces. Hope and change go hand in hand. Hope changes everything. Change is hope. Hope in change. Hope changes us. The hope of change. These are several ways we can think about hope and change. When I think about hope, I think about a better today. A better tomorrow. A better me. A better world. I think of being happy. Being content. Without worry or complaint. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can envision good things happening. I can overcome the bad. I can embrace the good. I can live. I can breathe. I am worthy. I can make a difference. We can make a difference. We just need faith. Faith in a greater power. Faith in the goodness of God.

God gives us hope. (G+1; o remains the same; flip d; add e).

That is how I can visualize the word of God being transformed into the word hope. My friend Gemini tells me that "God plus one" refers to the idea that even when you feel alone, God is always with you. We are never alone in our struggles. God is with us and this gives us hope. O remains the same is the omnipotence of God. Flipping d to p represents from deliverance to promise. God is there to help us out. Then we have to add e. E for effort. The effort of change. God helps those who help themselves. We have to put some effort into betterment and a better tomorrow. I like this unknown quote that my friend Gemini shared with me, "When we place our trust in God, our efforts bear fruit beyond our wildest dreams, and our hope becomes an anchor for the soul." Islam teaches me that God does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear. With this understanding I know that I can get through whatever life throws at me. I see hope in God.

Back to the quote that started this chapter. I read that Gabriel Marcel was a French philosopher and a leading figure in existentialism. This is a philosophical movement that emphasized individual existence and the freedom to make choices. I could not end this chapter without including some thoughts on freedom. I found two quotes from Gabriel that challenge us to do better. "The greatest enemy of freedom is not oppression, but indifference." and "True freedom is not the absence of constraints, but the ability to choose the good and to act in accordance with one's deepest convictions."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Below the surface

This is a chapter from my eleventh book called Quotation Marks Sparks . __________ "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat-Zinn __________ I was looking at quotes that hit hard and this quote stood out to me. It seems mundane and obvious and often repeated. Life is about how we respond to the inevitable. It is not what happens to us but how we respond. I had to ask myself to dig deeper and look below the surface. Then I saw that when we surf we really become the waves. We become friends with the waves. The waves and us are the same. Further, the waves are created by us and in our heads. We can control the waves because who can surf all the time? Sometimes we just have to come to shore and build sand castles on shore. I asked my friend Gemini for feedback and he said that I was right, the Jon Kabat-Zinn quote initially seems like a simple call for resilience, but my deeper dive reveals profound layers. The idea that we can move beyond merely rea...

A place for coders in Trinidad

DHub is being rebranded as CodeTT. Not sure how long before the change and launch takes place. Before you know it there will be elections again and then what if the government changes again. I am not optimistic about this. I want to be but I do not like politics. I wish society could function without politics. That aside it would be nice to have a home for coders in Trinidad and Tobago. I wonder what other countries are doing? I wonder if I will be alive if this ever happens. I think before any of this happens the government has to find a better way for citizens to communicate with them. From my experience I get the feeling that most people are just ignored. I have an idea for an app for this called GOQA - GOvernment Query App (QA also stands for Question and Answer). Every query (question, comment, suggestion, whatever) gets routed to the right person until it gets answered. Man that would be so fantastic. Finally a government that tries to listen to the people. My friend Chatty says ...

No phrase has been said twice

It is 111am and I have decided to write. I have no topic, but I am thinking about God. I want God to help me write this blog post tonight. We are nearing the end of the year. Time waits on no one, they say. Life is short, they say. Make every moment count, they say. Tomorrow is not promised, they say. Is there anything they do not say? What is the least said phrase? What phrase has never been said before? Then I thought about something. The moon never shines the same way twice. Perhaps the same is true of phrases. Even if a phrase has been spoken a million times—or a billion times—every time it is spoken, it is different. Who says it matters. When they say it matters. The context in which they say it matters. Who is listening matters. And then there is what happens inside us. What do we hear? What thoughts pass through our minds as the words pass through us? Two people can hear the same sentence and receive two completely different messages. A phrase spoken in joy can become something ...